This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Happy Halloweek! 🎃 

With spooky szn in full swing, it’s the best time to carve out time for all the scary and nostalgic movies/series to enjoy with some apple cider and Halloween candy. Unfortunately, it can be extremely difficult to find things that are actually scary. That’s why I’ve taken it upon myself to do this research for you and provide you with an official Halloweek watch list. 

The Conjuring 

Stream on: Netflix

6/10 spooks, 10/10 story

If it’s enough for you to watch one scary movie, The Conjuring is the one you should choose. This is my all-time favorite horror movie – it is both scary and has a good storyline that carries through to two sequels and multiple other movies in The Conjuring Universe. If you’re looking to get invested in the entire Universe, watch all the movies in chronological order. This includes all the Conjuring sequels, Anabelle, The Nun, and The Curse of La Llorona. 

Hocus Pocus 

Stream on: Disney+

2/10 spooks, 7/10 story, 10/10 nostalgia

For my cozy Halloween girlies, Hocus Pocus 1 and 2 are for you! The first movie is full of 90s and early 2000s nostalgia, with loveable characters and a spooky theme. It’s unlikely to scare you, but there are a few jumps. The newly released sequel brings us even more nostalgia and a sweet conclusion to the Sanderson Sisters’ story. 

The Devil in Ohio

Stream on: Netflix

8/10 spooks, 10/10 story

This series had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The storyline is WILD and hits you with so many twists and turns, you’ll never see the next thing coming. I would definitely characterize this as more of a thriller, but there are jump scares, blood, and a plot centering a Satanic cult, so make of that what you will. This is my #1 new Netflix release of the year!

The Haunting of Hill House

Stream on: Netflix

10/10 spooks, 9/10 story

You better have a funny, lighthearted movie on standby for this one. You do not want to make the mistake I did – falling asleep directly after watching this. I had nightmares all night long. This series is so very creepy and well done. Victoria Pedretti will have you on the verge of tears with how scary her performance is. As far as Netflix originals go, this is a must and it goes along with Haunting of Bly Manor among other Netflix series.

Honorable mentions

for anyone with extra time this week:

Halloweentown (Disney+): 1/10 spooks, 7/10 story

American Horror Story (Hulu): 10/10 spooks, 10/10 story

Hubie Halloween (Netflix): 1/10 spooks (some jump scares), 7/10 funny story

Khrystina is a first-year grad student, earning her Master's in Social Work. She's written for a variety of audiences throughout her academic and professional careers on topics ranging from mental health to travel guides. She's passionate about wellness, sustainability, food, her cats, books, and love. ❤️