This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Last weekend, I decided it’d been way too long since I’d been to the movie theater. Lured by the promise of overpriced snacks and squeaky recliners, I headed to my local AMC. My choice of film? 20th Century Studios newest whodunit Death on the Nile, adapted from the Agatha Christie novel of the same name. This work is a direct sequel to Murder on the Orient Express (2017), with Kenneth Branagh reprising his role as Belgian detective Hercule Poirot (and director of the film!). The rest of the star-studded cast included seasoned actors like Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), Armie Hammer (Call Me By Your Name), and Letitia Wright (Black Panther).

The plot is as follows:

The year is 1937. Honeymooning in Egypt, a young couple board a private riverboat, bringing ten of their close friends and family along for the ride. Endowed with a weighty inheritance–we’re talking old money–the beautiful socialite Linnet Ridgeway spares no expense for her beloved guests. So, with “enough champagne to fill the Nile,” the group sets off on a journey down the River, ready to eat, drink, and be merry.

And then a body is discovered.

Here begins Poirot’s heated search for the killer, who is assumedly still aboard the vessel. As he makes his rounds, it becomes clear nothing is as it seems when it comes to the newlyweds or their companions. As the trailer so aptly declares, on this ship, every passenger has a motive, and every suspect a secret…

This review is spoiler-free, but all I can say is, wow. The film’s final twist was well-delivered and totally caught me off guard. Other highlights include the camera work–those gorgeous shots of the pyramids and the Nile River made me want to visit someday–and aesthetics, glamorous enough that they sometimes overshadowed the actual plot. Some scenes aboard the riverboat felt downright Gatsbyesque. Viewers can also expect to see performances from a colorful cast of characters, none of whom are completely innocent.

Ultimately, Death on the Nile is a story about greed, passion, and the troubling lengths people will go to for love. Though there are no official plans yet for another Poirot movie, I would love to see a continuation of this film series.

Heraa Arshad

Buffalo '23

Heraa is a senior psychology major who loves to write book and film reviews! She also runs a Tiktok account (@heraa_reads) where she posts more bookish opinions and tries to convince everyone to read her favorite titles.