This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Back in March, three Louisville police officers (Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison, and Myles Cosgrove) busted into the apartment of Breonna Taylor, fired ten shots, and killed her.  New developments in the story say that Breonna’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired a shot in self-defense because the officers were using a battering ram to break into the apartment.  All three officers fired their weapons, resulting in Breonna getting shot eight times.

Not only did it take seven months for a decision to even be made, on top of that, only one officer got charged.  The charge against Brett Hankison was three counts of felony wanton endangerment.  If you are not sure what that means exactly, it is when “a person commits a crime when he or she wantonly (meaning in a deliberate and unprovoked way) engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.”  Therefore, the only officer that was charged was not even charged for the actual killing of Breonna Taylor.  He was only charged for firing into the neighboring apartment, putting other people in danger.

Why haven’t all of the officers who fired their weapons been charged for the actual murder of Breonna Taylor?  I asked myself the same question.  Breonna’s family and Americans across the country have been waiting for Breonna to get justice for seven months, and still, nothing has been done in direct regards to the shooting.  The charges against Hankison carry a maximum of one to five years in prison with a $15,000 cash bond.  That is not what justice looks like.

Provided below are some links you can use to help bring justice to Breonna:

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.