Wellness

Body-Positive Instagram Accounts to Follow in Honor of NEDA Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

February 22nd – February 28th was National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. Disordered eating is something affecting many college-age people, with the American College Health Association reporting that nearly 17% of college students are diagnosed with either anorexia, bulimia, orthorexia, or ARFID (avoidant/resistance food intake disorder). The undiagnosed cases would inflate this statistic undoubtedly. The National Organization for Women reports a staggering 78% of girls aged seventeen and older hate their bodies. Social media has certainly contributed to the growing dislike of our bodies, with the rise of edited photos at our finger tips, it is not uncommon to feel like there is something wrong with how you look, particularly your weight. In honor of NEDA, take time to unfollow accounts that make you feel badly about your body, and switch them out with people who make you feel good about yourself instead. Below are some accounts I recommend if you need ideas: 

Jameela Jamil 

Jameela Jamil is an actress and advocate for mental health and wellness. She runs the the Instagram account and podcast @i_weigh to promote “radical inclusivity, so that no one feels alone” as stated in the bio of the Instagram page. With lots of anecdotes, truth telling, and resources, Jameela Jamil and her co-hosts help you learn to love yourself and your body. Her own instagram @jameelajamilofficial is also a great follow, as it helps dispell the rumors circulated about celebrities and their “weight loss jouirneys.” She bravely talks about her own photos that have been edited without her consent and put on magazine covers. She is a fierce advocate for truth, women, and people in general, and her confidence is contagious. 

The Naked Diaries

Run by Taylor Giavasis, @thenakeddiaries shares unedited pictures and stories from real women of all shapes and sizes about their bodies and experiences. The Instagram page is a safe home for anyone who feels isolated in their journey of self-acceptance. The stories shared by the women on the page speak for themselves, and I strongly encourage you to read some if you can. 

Victoria Garrick

Former D1 volleyball player and ED surviror, Victoria Garrick, works to normalize being in touch with your body, and advocates for the idea that health can look many different ways through bravely sharing her own personal struggle with mental health. She uses a mantra that I myself have started repeating, you deserve to eat food and take care of your body. Her Instagram is full of important information and helpful resources for taking care of yourself as an athlete, but also as anyone seeking to take better care of themsleves. She also shares about editing pictures, and how not to judge yourself based on the pictures you see in your feed. 

Sydney Grace

Sydney Grace is also an advocate of recovery and self-love, with her bio stating, “formerly of diet culture, presently of myself.” Her posts range anywhere from her sporting save-worthy outfits, to more personal stories about her relationship with dieting and mental health. She is a breath of fresh air in the fashion community who understands the importance of body positivity. 

Rollin Funky 

Cara Holmes is, in her words, a model and lifestyle creator. She also happens to need a wheelchair. Her Instagram features lots of workout videos (this woman is STRONG strong) and self-love advocacy. The message visable throughout her feed is that bodies are capable of amazing things. A scroll through her badass modeling photos and workout videos are sure to inspire. 

If you or someone you care about is struggling with disordered eating, the National Eating Disorders Association has multiple chat and help lines available. You are not alone. You are loved. 

Ali is the social media manager for the Buffalo chapter of Her Campus. She is a Political Science major with an affinity for crooked media podcasts and bad movies. She hopes she will one day learn how to take care of plants.