This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Even if you are from out of town, you will likely be here in Buffalo for about four years, and in that time I am sure that there are so many new things that you would like to try and places that you would like to visit!

Although this is by no means a complete list, I hope that this mini bucket list can provide you with some ideas of things to do and try around the city of Buffalo and the region more generally.

1. Niagara Falls

I feel like Niagara Falls is one of the locations that many out-of-towners associate with Buffalo, NY, and it is also just a really cool place to visit! Whether you go to the U.S. or Canadian side, you will find so many cool things to do in the Falls. You can go on the Maid of the Mist, take pictures of the famous Horseshoe Falls, or just take in the sights.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans is a Western New York staple and many Buffalonians would be willing to attest to that. Although they have a lot of products that can be found in most supermarket chains, they handle it with a small-town flair, focusing on local goods as well, and supporting our local sports teams. 

1. Duff’s and Anchor Bar

If you are living in Buffalo for your college career, trying all of our city’s famous Buffalo wings should be a must on your bucket list. Duff’s and Anchor Bar are two of the better known restaurants with Buffalo wings in the city, and both have multiple locations throughout the area. It’s a great way to enjoy the “heat” with the cold Buffalo winters!

1. Bills and Sabres games

Saying “Go Bills!” is a common greeting in Buffalo, and many Buffalonians remain steadfast in supporting our local teams, regardless of their record. Whether you go downtown to a Sabres game or jump on a folding table as part of Buffalo’s tailgate tradition, you will be sure to see the Buffalo pride.

1. Albright Knox

If you are interested in art or art history, I would highly recommend checking out the Albright Knox Art Gallery. In addition to the regular selection of pieces to view, they also regularly have visiting exhibits, so you will always have the opportunity to see something new that piques your interest. Although the Elmwood Avenue location is temporarily closed, they still have another location at Albright Knox Northland, which you can find more information about on their website.

1. Find your favorite pizza place

A lot of Buffalonians are passionate about pizza. If you are not from New York, you might think of a “New York” pizza as being a thin crust pizza. Although we do have a few restaurants with thinner crust-style pizzas in the area, you will find that your typical Buffalo pizza is much different than NYC-style. With a thicker and fluffier crust, and the option “char and curl” pepperonis (if you have not had them before… go try it now!), you will have a huge variety of restaurants to try in the area. Try a few and find your go-to place to order from, because let’s be real here, sometimes pizza can feel like a necessary treat when studying!

1. Canalside

Canalside is one of my favorite places in the whole WNY area, and there is no shortage of things to try. If you visit during the warmer months, there are often a variety of live concerts, paddle boating, water bikes, and so many regular events. In the colder months, you will still find many things to do, including ice skating, ice bikes, and other rotating events.

1. Murals downtown

There are so many murals around the city and region that showcase the art and talent in the area. One of my favorite murals is the “lookin’ good” mural on Hertel Avenue, but there are so many to visit depending on your taste and on how far you would like to drive. Check out Stepout Buffalo’s post on some of the murals and street art around the area.

1. Shea’s Performing Arts Center

Shea’s is another one of my favorite things in the area, and we’re really lucky as a community to have such an amazing theatre so close! They host a variety of concerts and shows throughout the year, and I have seen musicals there including Phantom of the Opera and Hamilton, as well as musical groups like AJR.

1. Buffalo RiverWorks

I saved this item for last, as it is on my own personal bucket list! Buffalo RiverWorks is a huge complex on the waterfront, with so much to do. They have skating, curling, and hockey, and also have dining and bars as well.

We hope that you found a few new items to add to your bucket list while you are here at UB, and let us know if you have anything else that you think should be added!

Junior Political Science major. Interested in: Current Events, Music, and Baking!