This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The weather has gone from warm to cold and windy, with the need for sweaters and hot coffee. The trees have turned orange, and the sidewalks are littered with fallen leaves, all an indication that spooky season has arrived! Thus, here are four book recommendations to get you into the spooky, fall vibes:

1. The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling 

The Ex Hex is a paranormal, romantic comedy about Vivienne Jones, a young witch who ends up cursing her ex-boyfriend, Rhys Penhallow, after he leaves her to return to Wales. Nine years after their breakup, Rhys returns to their small town of Graves Glen in order to recharge the town’s hay lines, but things end up taking a turn for the worse. Vivienne’s curse might not have been as inconsequential as she had previously thought.

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

In this classic, gothic horror, Oscar Wilde tells the story of Dorian Gray, a young man whose obsession with beauty and youth leads him to trade his soul for an eternity of youthfulness. With nothing to lose, Dorian falls into a life of crime and passion, and as he continues on his crooked path, his painted portrait grows to hold the records of his doings, which he tries to hide from the rest of the world.

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 

Only open at night, Le Cirque des Rêves is a circus that pulls you in with its mystical atmosphere and abundance of magic and wonder. Beneath its ambient exterior, however, a fierce competition between two opposing magicians, Celia and Marco, is playing out, in which only one person can come out on top. 

1. The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston 

Florence Day is a ghostwriter for a famous romance author who no longer believes in love. When her new editor, Benji Andor, refuses to give her an extension for her latest novel, Florence is left in a dire situation. However, things become much worse after she receives the news of her father’s passing and must now return to the town she once ran from. There, she encounters the ghost of her editor. Neither of them knows how or why he ended up there, but as they work together and begin to get to know each other better, Florence’s feelings for Benji grow, and her perceptions of love quickly begin to change.

Fatima Makama

Buffalo '25

Fatima Makama is an undergraduate student at the University at Buffalo studying Public Health with a passion for global healthcare as well as the intersections between medicine and writing through the medical humanities. An aspiring writer with far too many book ideas and too little time to write them, you can often find her reading, watching Netflix and buying far too many books as per booktube's recommendations.