Is your past hindering your future? Sabby to the Rescue!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

I was arrested five months back for shoplifting with a friend at a local mall.  I got jail time, paid all the fines the court sent me, and had the embarrassing talk with my mom who was outraged at me.  Now that I have quit shoplifting, forever, I have begun looking for jobs near my campus to pay my phone bill and any extras.  My fear is that when employers ask if I have ever been arrested and say no they can check and not hire me because of it.  I am so afraid that I skipped two interviews last week and am pushing myself to go to another one next week.  I know I am not a bad person and I do not want possible employers judging me for a stupid mistake I made.  Should I just tell them from the get go or wait and lie?
-Cynthia

Lying is never the right road to go down because once you lie, you will have to make up a bogus story and remember it if anyone ever asks.  What I suggest is waiting until the question comes up then answer, truthfully.  If the question does not arise then do not bring it to attention.  Either way, the employer will background check you to make sure you do not have serious charges on you (DWI, speeding tickets, etc.).  I would also suggest that you do not apply to any clothing and or accessory stores for a while due to your shoplifting record.  Clothing stores will steer away and presume you may have sticky fingers with their merchandise and you do not want that kind of pressure on you.  Just relax, take a deep breath, and walk into your next interview calm, collected, and ready for action!  Just show them how awesome you are and be honest, that will get you ahead in life every time.

Good luck!

XoXo
Sabby!

Photo Credit: www.weheartit.com