Oliver Colbert 13′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Name- Oliver Colbert

Class Status- Senior

Graduation Year- 2013

Age- 22

Major- Journalism, minoring in Writing

Quote to live by- “Let he without sin cast the first stone.”

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Oliver: My biggest inspiration is the faceless average man who I see everyday. He goes to work, comes home, loves his family, loves his friends, and despite adversity he always keeps a smile and holds his head high while remaining humble. 

HC: What things have you done or organizations have you been a part of on campus and what you’ve learned from them?

Oliver: I was Cultural Heritage chair for Pan African Student Organization, 2011 VP of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. Delta Gamma Chapter currently Community Chair, Resident Assistant for SUNY Buffalo State Residence Life, Residence Life Programming Task Force Committee , Contributor for The Lens Art Magazine, Member of the Ink Club, Currently Helping to Charter a chapter of the NAACP here at Buffalo State College, also I’m serving as President the African American Male Empowering Network a support group for young African American men attending Buffalo State College. I learned and am still learning a great amount from all of these endeavors that I have experienced. The main thing that I personally enjoy most about each and everyone of these organizations/clubs listed above is that they all taught me and are still teaching me how to grow into a better man; whether with dealing with diversity, communications, being a role model, time management, organization skills, etc. This all attributes to who I am today and is still shaping the man I will be tomorrow.

HC: Why did you come to buff state?

Oliver: Originally I chose to come to Buffalo State College because it was not too far away from home but however, far enough that I would be able to get the “college experience”. Once I got here it took me sometime to warm up, being a such a diverse campus. By my sophomore semester I had come to the realization the opportunities that I had in front of me, with Buffalo State being such a diverse campus. I began to capitalize and soon came to the sudden understanding that Buffalo State College was probably one of the best choices of my life. 

HC: What are your best and worst experiences while attending buff state?

Oliver: Best experience at Buffalo State? It’s tied between being expose to Greek Life and becoming an RA. Both allowed me to meet some amazing people and some lifelong friends.

Worse experience? Is the food. No disrespect to Chartwells, I understand that they’re a accredited catering service, but the food here must improve in some way. Other than that I’m good. 

HC: How would you describe your experience here at buff state?

Oliver: My experience here at buffalo state? In one word, priceless, I wouldn’t trade the memories I’ve made, the people I’ve met, or the things I’ve learned inside/outside the classroom for all the money in the world. Buffalo State is a beautiful institution and the people here are just as beautiful. 

HC: What do you hope to do when you graduate?

Oliver: Once I graduate I plan on continuing my education and pursuing a Master’s degree in African American Studies and Higher Education. I would also like to stay apart of either Residence Life or Student Life in any institution that I am attending. 

HC: What is your biggest motivation to continue on as a student here at buff state?

Oliver: My biggest motivation to continue here at this school was the people. I can’t stress it enough, you meet the most amazing and fantastic people when you go out and get involved. Getting involved in organizations on campus is also a huge incentive to continue school here. You build kinship networks very fast once you do that and you also begin to move closer to your passion by getting involved in the right organizations and meeting the right people

HC: Do you have any advice for girls at buff state?

Oliver: Stay on track. Guys will come and they will go. Friends will be there and some will betray you. Things will happen that you probably didn’t prepare for. Always keep in mind how far you came and how much closer you draw near to having your goal everyday. Women have made some of the biggest strides this nation has ever scene from any demographic. Stay aware that you represent more than yourself and that you have a greater cause. Never settle, always strive for more because you deserve it.

All of us here at Her Campus SUNY Buff State would like to thank Oliver for taking the time to be a part of Her Campus and wish him all the best of luck on his future endeavors! 
 Brittany Windham is a Senior at Buffalo State College in Buffalo, NY. She is studying Fashion Design with a concentration in Apparel Design. She is a New York City native with a love for the arts and anything that allows her to express her creativity. She is a published poet and a member of the Chi Alpha Epsilon Honors Society. She has worked alongside artist, designers, and students in New York City to promote environmental awareness through art with her participation in Digital Day Camp through the Eyebeam team. She is currently a member of the Orange Crush team on her campus and she one day aspires to have her own online store which recycles and reuses old accessories and clothing to create new ones.