5 New Shows You Need to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Fall is the best time for television show lovers. Most current shows are back for a new season while new series premiere on just about every major channel. These new series bring with them interesting plotlines that will either generate a great reception or fail tremendously and become cancelled after five episodes (#RIP). For now, let’s focus on the great shows. These five new shows are definitely going to draw interest from people everywhere. From a political drama about a designated survivor becoming President to a detective talking to her dead father through an old radio, these shows will definitely be back for another season or two…maybe even three!

1. Designated Survivor ​

This political-drama stars Kiefer Sutherland as Tom Kirkman, who was formerly the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. A bomb explodes in the Capitol during the State of the Union address, killing the President, Vice-President, and every member of Congress and the Cabinet. This leads to Kirkman, who was the Designated Survivor, becoming the President of the United States during an incredibly, difficult time. Once you see the pilot episode, you will be hooked! It’s engaging and leaves you wondering how Kirkman is going to prove to his family, his colleagues, the people of the United States, and himself that he is qualified to be Commander in Chief. It comes on Wednesday nights on ABC at 10 EST.

2. Timeless A criminal in the future steals a time machine and goes back in time alter American history. It’s up to a scientist, a soldier, and a history professor to catch the theif and make sure he doesn’t change the course of history. It premieres on October 3rd on the CW and looks like it’ll be an interesting show that will gain a following. If you love history and science fiction, then you need to tune into this series. 

3. Frequency If you are a fan of Frequency, the film from 2000 starring Dennis Quaid, then you will love this show  since it’s based off it! It’s about a NYPD detective (Peyton List) who is able to contacts her deceased father through an old radio. However, he is still alive and she is speaking to him in the past – the day before he is suppose to die, to be exact. This crime drama that looks very promising. It premieres October 5th on the CW. 

4. The Good Place

Kristin Bell stars in this sitcom about a woman named Eleanor who dies and ends up in the afterlife. However, they’ve mistaken her for another person who has done many good deeds in her life; unlike Eleanor who was far from a good person. in order to escape going to the “Bad Place”, she tries to shed her old ways (or at least hide them from the others) while figuring out how to get back to Earth. This is a great sitcom that is sure to make you laugh. It also features Ted Danson who is the King of sitcoms. This show is worth giving a try. It’s already on its fourth episode so tune into NBC on Thursdays at 8:30p! 

5. This is Us

Warning: get the kleenex out before you watch. Similar to Parenthood, This Is Us is a dramedy that shows the lives of people born on the same day and how they are connected. It’s a beautiful story that has realistic plots, showing how people can have similar or different events happen to them on the same day. It premiered on Sept. 20th on NBC which means you can watch the first episode NOW. 

If I had to pick a top three, I would choose This is Us (1), Designated Survivor (2), and Frequency (3) as the shows I’m definitely going to watch.

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.