Your Ultimate Guide to Choosing BU Housing for Next Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As soon as housing deposits are officially due, it seems like everyone is asking the same question – where are you living next year? With so many different housing options, it can be hard to make a decision. Here are some of the pros and cons of BU’s main on-campus housing locations. 

Danielsen Hall

Pros- Danielsen is very close to Newbury, so if you’re working there, or you just love to shop, this could be the place for you. The BUS stops right outside, so its distance from campus doesn’t have to be that big of an issue. Also, there is a kitchen in the basement! So if you happen to be a stress-baker, that is definitely a plus.

Cons- Danielsen happens to be right next to a lot of the MIT fraternity houses. Some might place this in the ‘pro’ column, but if you like your quiet time, be aware that it’s usually pretty loud. It really is pretty far away (your T-stop would be Hynes Convention Center, to give you an idea), especially from anything in west campus and the building itself isn’t the nicest. It’s pretty old and in need of renovation. 

West Campus: Claflin Hall, Sleeper Hall, and Rich Hall

Pros- Let’s be honest, West Campus really isn’t that far away, and once you get over the walk, most would argue that west is best. The rooms are nicer than Warren’s and the dining hall is too.
Cons- However, now that East Campus has 100 Bay State, West has a little more competition.

Myles Standish Hall & Myles Annex

Pros- Myles is extremely underrated on campus. Each suite has its own bathroom and Newbury is only a couple of blocks away. Also, the BUS stops right in front, making Myles even more convenient. 

Cons- It is a bit of a walk to campus, so if you know you’ll have an 8 AM in SHA or CGS or something, Myles might not be the place for you. And if you’re a gym rat, FitRec is kind of a hike as well. Myles has also been home to a few mice, especially on the lower floors. Also remember that the Annex is not set up the same way as Myles proper – bathrooms are communal and the rooms are pretty standard doubles (think Warren or West).

[pagebreak]

Kilachand Hall (aka Shelton Hall)

Pros- It’s right next to 100 Bay State Road, it has a more relaxed vibe than other large dorms, and the old Shelton is now being renovated into Kilachand. Also, the ninth floor has a quiet study lounge with really great views.

Cons- Except that it’s really far away from Fit Rec and west campus in general, there aren’t a lot of cons. Unfortunately, if you aren’t an honors college freshman, as of next year you probably won’t be living there. 

Bay State Road Brownstones

Pros-  Our HC writer Schuyler Silverman (COM 14) says, “Bay State is beautiful, sunny, and located right in the heart of campus. Brownstones are like houses, each floor has a bathroom that’s only shared by a few people, and the rooms are also pretty spacious.” Lastly, it is similar to South because you just have to swipe in at the front door and there is not a security guard. 

Cons: “I was put in a quad and there is only one single per floor. The singles are small, you can hear traffic all day and night from the highway (at least where I was), mice are a possibility, and they are really hard to get in the lottery!” 

South Campus Brownstones

Pros- I currently live in south campus, and I love it. Although living here freshman year wasn’t exactly the greatest thing in terms of meeting people, it’s grown on me. You have more freedom since you don’t have a security guard.

Cons- Buswell Street is really pretty, but keep in mind, the brownstones are old. Mice and cockroaches have been a problem for people. Also, Gigas is now closed. *Crying*

[pagebreak]

The Towers

Pros- It’s in the heart of campus and is also on Bay State Rd., but it’s an actual dorm. Now that there isn’t a dining hall in Towers, there are a lot of places to study, and 100 Bay State is less than a block away. Also, it is easy to make really good friends with floor mates, which is kind of uncommon at BU. 

Cons- It was the Honors College dorm, but now that Kilachand is taking its role, we’re not exactly sure what will happen to Towers. Also, people who are kicked out of Warren are sent to Towers, so that’s saying something. Lastly, the dorm rooms tend to run on the smaller side. 

Warren Towers

Pros- The location is great, and it is nice to have everything in one place. If you’re a freshman this is an awesome place to live because you end up making so many friends on your floor. 

Cons- Sometimes, Warren feels like a “prison” and can be a little loud. Also, the bathrooms are really gross a lot of the time and by the end of the year, you’ll be glad to move on. 

Hojo (525 Commonwealth)

Pros- Hojo is right on Commonwealth, and it’s not Warren. The rooms are generally pretty nice and it also has a more relaxed vibe than the other large dormitories. 

Cons- Most of the rooms are extremely small and are triples. Which means not a lot of alone time or personal space. Keep this in mind when deciding if you want to live with friends or not, some people have found that with the close quarters, it is easier to get on one another’s nerves. 

1019 Commonwealth Avenue

Pros- It’s a great place for sophomores to live if they do not want to stay in Claflin, Sleeper, or Rich, and if they couldn’t/ didn’t want to move to one of the StuVis or off campus. 

Cons- Distance is the main issue, and by this point many students want to have a kitchen of their own. 

[pagebreak]

StuVi 1 

Pros- Both StuVi 1 and 2 have amazing views. The rooms are generally clean, depending on roommates, of course. All of the rooms are singles, the apartment is furnished, it has a kitchen, and two bathrooms. However, it dos have laundry, mail, practice rooms, study rooms, all in the same building which is extremely convenient. Also, having Buick Street café so close is also very nice.  

Cons- It is very expensive. The tiny room’s walls are thin and it doesn’t feel as “homey” as brownstones or an off campus apartment. There is still an RA and quiet hours, and the windows don’t open like in StuVi2. The security guard means signing people in… all the time, especially if you have friends who go to other schools. Also, because StuVi 1 has only apartment-style housing, this dorm is exclusively juniors and seniors. 

StuVi 2 

Pros- It has been many students’ “home away from home” and is a safe alternative to living off campus for upperclassmen. Everyone really loves StuVi 2. It’s extremely nice and if you are okay with paying a little extra, it’s the place to be. 

Cons- The bummer is that the windows do not open, and you still have to sign people in at the security desk, which can be a pain after a while. It also costs more, and by the time they can actually get into it, many students prefer to go off campus. 

Images From:

http://dailyfreepress.com/2008…

http://www.bu.edu/housing/resi…

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.