Your Spring Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The birds are chirping again, the sky is a clear blue once more, and some flowers are already blooming. But can you smell that? That fresh breeze – not cold and heavy, but fresh, cool and light on the lungs? Yup, that’s the smell of spring. Spring is finally here so the coats are better tucked away and the breezy skirts, short shorts and floral dresses are sure to be out and about in no time. Masses of people, young and old, girl or boy, man or woman, will once again bask under the warmth of the sun that has been certainly missed in the seemingly unending overcast and gloom of winter (although Nemo did bring pretty snow). Everyone will once again be either filling their ears with happy, jovial music, taking a relaxing nap or reading a good ‘ol book on their spring reading list.

I have always stood by my view that there are a set of books that are meant to be read for each season and time. It adds to the whole synergy of things: warmer weather, fresh colors, cheery music, carefree fashion and just the bright mood on everyone’s faces -that’s Spring. My idea for a spring read is not a dense book (for the summer), a series (for the summer too) or one that has a sad, depressing or demanding plot (for the fall and winter seasons). A good book for spring is something fresh, lighthearted and pleasant – just like the season itself. Here’s a list from me to you. 

So get your spring groove on, put on that dress, rock those shades, grab your book and enjoy the sun!

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

• Three hypochondriacs seek cure in an open boat cruising down along the Thames River.  A road trip on the water that offers crazy encounters, deep and humorous conversations and insights to the human mind and lifestyle. 

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

• I’m an Albom fan and have read most of his titles. If you’ve read Tuesdays with Morrie or For One More Day, I bet you you’ve had cried a liter of tears. Although this one may still grab your heart and twist it on all sides, it is a beautiful and imaginative story of a war army veteran and his encounters of five people that changed his life in some way or another.

The Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories about College

• I love the Chicken Soup series and this one hits home. We all know that college is a time of excitement, discovery, anxiety, and confusion – all mashed up into four years of learning experience. Read these true college stories that everyone can relate to.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

I enjoy reading biographies and autobiographies because they give readers first row seats to the lives of people we admire, we hate and we desire to model our lives after. The actress, comedienne and writer tells us her life story as of now in a unique, honest and very funny way.

The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton

• For everyone with wanderlust and those studying abroad this summer and in the future, this piece, gathering essays, poetry and memoirs from world travelers throughout history, answers the questions of why we travel and how we do it. Good thing to have in your suitcase. 

F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders by Richard Benson

• Hilarious book! Every college student and even high schoolers can relate to this collection of hilarious examples of the creative and “literal” ways students tackled exam questions that make everyone say “What the*&#@% does this mean?”

Good Poems edited by Garrison Keillor

• Get some poetry reading done. Poems are a quick read which can tell stories in a few stanzas, and it’s another way of looking at things besides your common prose. This well-known collection includes pieces about life, love, death and everything in between. It features your classic poets such as Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost as well as the more contemporary ones of Charles Bukowski and Sharon Olds. 

The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald by F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Short stories are my favorite go-to if I am not in the mood to read a full-length novel. Like poems, they are a quick read in prose format and you don’t feel the need to finish every short story in one go. You can read one story, put the book down for some time, and then read another one again, this time with a whole new plot and characters.  This collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories offer a window into life in the Roaring 20s, reminiscence of childhood, life in excess and a life finally content. 

Although the BU Beach may not be available to us this month due to the construction, we always have Marsh Plaza, the Esplanade or the COM lawn to sit, lay and read.

If you want more selections and more lists, go to www.goodreads.com. Happy reading and happy spring!

A child of journalism and international relations. I am for the Carpe Diems and YOLOs of life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.