This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re like many other college students and you decide to take a trip away from your college dorm, spring break is a perfect time. After finishing a myriad of midterms and papers, you need that long break to relax in the sun and to stop worrying about school. You may be really excited about this trip, but you don’t want to forget some essentials when packing. Some things tend to be overlooked and while you could buy some of these things on your trip, do you really want to spend the money for something you already have but just forgot? If you’re anything like me, you tend to pack for a week or months-long vacations a day before you leave. Even though I procrastinate packing, I make sure to always create checklists so I don’t forget anything. Here is a helpful list for when you’re packing for your next trip.

1. A toothbrush

The day before I leave for a trip, I put my toothbrush on top of my travel bag, so when I wake up in the morning I can easily find it and remember to store it in my suitcase after I use it. Sometimes I’m so “in the zone” I continue with my routine and store my toothbrush away into its placeholder after brushing my teeth in the morning and completely forget about it when I’m packing.

2. Socks

You can never bring too many socks! Your feet are going to sweat and sometimes you want to wear something more secure than flip-flops. Also if you’re walking around in a house or a hotel you may not know how clean the floor actually is. Or sometimes your feet get cold in the middle of the night and you no amount of covers will keep them warm.

3. Underwear

Similarly to socks, you can never have enough underwear. Sometimes accidents happen or mother nature calls a few weeks early. It’s best to be prepared with extra supplies. Depending on where you go, you may not have access to laundry facilities. So, in this case, it is better to be over prepared than underprepared. Nobody wants to wear dirty underwear.

4. Sunscreen

If you’re heading to a tropical place or not, it is still important to protect your skin from UV light. Layering sunscreen on your face and body will protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. And if you are going somewhere warm this is especially important because you don’t want to burn and be in pain for the rest of your vacation.

5. Makeup wipes

If you’re bringing makeup, it is important to also bring stuff that will remove your makeup. You don’t want to be stuck trying to scrub it off, or ending up sleeping with it. And even if you aren’t someone who wears makeup, makeup wipes are good at removing dead skin and dirt from your face.

6. Keys

You aren’t going to be in your apartment or dorm for a few weeks, but you need a way to get back inside once you return. Make sure to pack your keys when you leave and secure your home while you’re away.

7. ID

This is especially important if you’re flying somewhere. The TSA will ask for a government-approved form of identification, and if you don’t have one or you forget yours, you are screwed. Also, don’t forget your school ID as well, you need to get back in your dorm once you return.

8. Snacks

Bring snacks on your road trip or for the plane. Food in airports or convenience stores can be expensive, and if you’re hungry you will definitely hurt your wallet. This is also a good idea if you’re a picky eater or if you want to eat healthily and don’t want to eat something from McDonalds or candy from a convenience store.

9. A water bottle

If you’re traveling on a plane, bring an empty water bottle. Airports usually have fountains or Brita filters where you can fill up your water bottle. This definitely beats spending six dollars for a bottle of water.

10. Medicine

You never really know when you’re going to get sick, when your allergies are going to hit, or when you’re going to get a headache. Bring some Advil, Excedrin, Midol, or Claritin with you on your trip to just in case something like this happens to you or to one of your friends.

Hopefully, this list of essentials helps you on your next trip. But if you forget something, it’s not the end of the world. If you like to be prepared for any type of situation, it’s better to bring more of something that you may not use, than less of something that you really need or want. Pack smart and make checklists or start packing early, if that helps.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophia loves everything bagels with cream cheese
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.