Your New Favorite Dorm Snacking Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Being in college for three semesters has taught me a lot of things. Classes are stressful, everything is expensive, my friends are amazing, but most importantly, dorm life is a major adjustment.

That’s why I’ve created the perfect list to reference when you’re stocking up on snacks to make dorm life a little sweeter (or saltier).

1. Clif Bars

Photo credit

I have relied on Clif Bars since the first day of freshman year. Not only are they the only protein bar I’ve found to actually keep me full, but the flavors are amazing. Try my favorites cool mint chocolate or chocolate chip next time!

2. Fruit Snacks

Photo credit

Welch’s fruit snacks bring me back to the lunchbox days. They’re not exactly candy so you can feel better eating them, but still have that little sugar pick me up to get you through the day.  

3. Pretzels

Photo credit

Pretzels are that staple snacks, but these braided varieties are my personal favorite. They’re a little sweeter than normal pretzels and more fun too! I always feel like I can eat less of them than I would with regular pretzels and still feel full.  

4. Oatmeal

Photo credit

Recently, I’ve had an obsession with oatmeal. I’ve always loved cereal, but having milk in a dorm room isn’t always the easiest. I found myself not using the milk in time, or running out and not having anything to eat with my cereal. For oatmeal, you only need a little water and a microwave, making it perfect for dorms!

5. Peanut Butter

Photo credit

I love peanut butter. It has a long shelf life so you can keep it in your room forever and it goes with everything. My favorite combo is getting apples and cutting them up to have with peanut butter. It’s a really easy healthy snack that still tastes amazing.

6. Bark Thins

Photo credit

Bark Thins taste like candy, but they’re labeled as a “snacking chocolate,” which helps justify them eating them all the time! I like to keep a bag of the mint ones in my room to have every once and a while.

7. Chex Mix

Photo credit

Cheddar Chex Mix is by far the superior flavor. I love the original, but something about the cheddar is especially irresistible. It’s addicting, to say the least.

8. Microwave Popcorn

Photo credit

A true college staple, microwave popcorn never lets me down. It’s great if you need a bigger snack or if you want to invite friends over to watch a movie. You really can’t go wrong offering your guests some classic movie theater butter popcorn.

9. Hummus

Photo credit

Hummus is that healthy spread that’s so delicious that I constantly try to keep it stocked in my dorm fridge. It goes great with pretzels, pita chips, or carrots! There’s a bunch of flavors so if the original doesn’t sound appealing to you, try Sabra’s Basil Pesto or Chipotle varieties!

10. Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream

Photo credit

No explanation needed. Chubby Hubby has been my favorite Ben & Jerrys flavor for as long as I can remember. It’s a malt ice cream with fudge and peanut butter swirls and chocolate covered pretzels pieces mixed in!  

Hurry up and get these must-haves so you can survive those late-night study sessions or Netflix binges!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.