Style

Your Guide to the Best College Closet: 3 Ways to Stay Trendy Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In an age of social media and influencer culture, it seems that every day there’s a new fashion trend bombarding your feed. Whether you’re scrolling through Pinterest or watching copious “Outfits of the Week” videos on Youtube, it can seem impossible to stay stylish without emptying your savings. But don’t despair! I’ve put together three of my top tips for those who have a passion for fashion but still want to make their fall tuition payment.

Thrift, Thrift, Thrift!

Ten years ago, you’d never admit if you got your pants from Goodwill. Now, buying second hand is all the rage, and you can actually be proud of the grueling hours you spent searching for the perfect pair of vintage mom jeans. While scanning the racks at Savers may be a bit more time consuming, it saves a great deal of money. Check with Goodwills around campus for their student discount days and dedicate a few hours. I promise you’ll find some gems at a bargain price!

Work With What You Have

Ever look at your wardrobe and still feel like you have nothing to wear? We’ve all been there, but try and fight the urge to go on a shopping spree. Instead, start looking at your closet from a different angle. Resist the urge to grab your go-to outfit and instead, experiment with different clothing combinations. If you have items you never wear anymore, see if you can alter them to create a more flattering, trendy piece. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box—that’s how you discover new ideas!

Curate Your Wardrobe

While shopping for new pieces is always exciting, trying to stay up to date on trends can often leave you with pieces you wear a few times and never pick up again. Following a capsule-wardrobe-inspired model, think about the pieces you have instead of the ones you don’t. Take your own preferences into account, and buy items that reflect and compliment your current wardrobe. That way, you’ll buy fewer pieces, but stay just as fashion-forward with a cultivated closet.

Remember that style is subjective, and you don’t have to wear Gucci to look put together. Even while being mindful of your spending, you can still indulge in your fashion interests. With these three shopping strategies, you can be sure to elevate your clothing game while keeping your pocket change.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby is a sophomore from Phoenix, Arizona studying computer science and media science at BU. She loves to express her passions through writing, and hopes to help some readers along the way. Besides writing for Her Campus, Ruby spends her time cooking, reading, and exploring new coffee shops.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.