Why You Should Find Your Passion Outside of a Textbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The best superheroes have lives outside of their careers. Kara Danvers slays as both a reporter and a crime-fighting Supergirl. Barry Allen solves mysteries as a forensic scientist while giving evil a run for its money as the Flash. However, you don’t need superpowers to make a difference in this world — Beyoncé dances, sings, and runs her charity BeyGOOD. Making your mark starts with simply finding your passion outside of the textbook. 

Photo credit: Geek Tyrant

When it comes to our career glow-up, it is not only about what you know, but who you know. Clubs, volunteer groups, internships, research initiatives, hobbies, and more can introduce us to people beyond the extent of our major. Colleges and universities, such as Boston University, have resources just waiting for us to play with. Yes, you read that correctly. Finding your passion should not be a chore, but a fun way of finding out who we are and who we want to become.  

We all fall into the comfort zone trap: finding a chill human in our Intro-to-[Insert Major Here] class, adding them on Snapchat and sticking to them like glue. However, just as college is about learning class material, college is also a time to learn about the world. The world is not made only of people like you, and that’s what makes it amazing. Each person has different stories and ideas they can contribute to society. Finding your passion outside of your major will help you make meaningful connections and learn about the world around you.

If Scarlett Johansson can play a tree, you can be passionate about anything you want. So, dive into clubs and groups outside of your major. Join kickboxing, volunteer at a soup kitchen, watch the stars with your school’s astronomy club. Even something as simple as befriending someone different from yourself is a great place to start. Having passions outside of our majors make us better members of society. They get us involved, connect us to people different from ourselves, and make us aware of the problems of our time. 

Photo credit: Metro

Stepping outside of your major is your step into the world. Find your passion outside of the textbook. Who knows, your passion might connect you to jobs and opportunities beyond college.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Maria is a junior advertising major at Boston University. When not in class, Maria can be found running along the Charles, drawing, getting coffee, and listening to Kacey Musgraves or Stevie Nicks. She hopes to one day be a copywriter or account planner at an advertising agency.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.