Stream, Don’t Skip: Hulu’s ‘Only Murders in the Building’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re not already watching Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building, you should be. Full of heart, charm, witty jokes and absolutely no shortage of mystery, this show will keep you guessing until the last minutes.

The show follows three neighbors, Mabel (Selena Gomez), Charles (Steve Martin) and Oliver (Martin Short), who find each other through a shared love of the same murder mystery podcast and then team up to solve a murder that has just happened in the Arconia, the building in which they all live. The trio has a genuine chemistry that makes them both funny and entertaining to watch.

The show has no shortage of stars, with guest roles from both Tina Fey and Jane Lynch. The dynamic cast gets you hooked, but it’s the show’s plotline and cliffhangers that kept me coming back after each episode. If you’re not a fan of cliffhangers, though, the season finale has officially premiered, so you can binge the whole season at once if that’s more your thing. 

Each episode is narrated by a different character in the show. This gives viewers a unique opportunity in episode seven, which is narrated by Theo, a deaf character. The episode is almost entirely silent, leaving the audience to rely on ASL, lip reading, body language, and subtitles. It’s such a unique way to handle representation, and it might be my favorite episode of the season.

The show manages to keep up its sense of humor and somehow lightheartedness despite its central topic being, well, murder, and I found it to be a joy to watch. Plus, it’s officially been renewed for season 2!

So if you’re looking for your next watch, you can definitely find it in Only Murders in the Building.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.