Why You Need to see “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Why You Need to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

A couple of weeks ago, we were blessed with the release of the movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Expectations were high, and this magical film certainly did not disappoint. If you haven’t had the chance to experience this journey back into J.K. Rowling’s world of wizardry, here are some reasons why you just can’t wait any longer.

Perhaps the most amazing aspect of this movie is its remarkably similar feel to the Harry Potter movies. J.K. Rowling has seamlessly delivered us back into the word of wizards and magical creatures (although with more of an emphasis on the creatures this time). The story is set in New York, seventy years before Harry Potter’s time. The plot follows protagonist Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne, as he attempts to find more magical creatures and eventually recover some who go missing. Other colorful characters band together with Newt to keep the wizarding community a secret and avoid war with the non-magical community. Without giving too much away, the plot of this movie is rich with conflict and surprise twists indicative of classic J.K. Rowling writing.

It would not be the blockbuster film that it is without the awesome visuals that make the audience feel totally engrossed in the movie. The buildings and scenery are awe-inspiring, with the charm and unique aesthetic of New York depicted brilliantly. The visual effects are also incredible, especially in scenes where Newt goes inside his magical briefcase and interacts with all of his creatures. It is enough to make you wish you were there as well (despite the fact that some of the creatures are somewhat scary-looking).

If the quality of the plot and visuals were not enough, Eddie Redmayne is reason alone to see this film. He winningly portrays a complex character who is intrigued by these creatures and feels responsible for protecting them from other wizards. He is coy yet charming, and makes the character of Newt Scamander so likeable. Not to mention, Eddie Redmayne himself is goofy and adorable in every way possible.

So if you are a die-hard Potter fan missing the magic and wonder of the series, you should definitely give Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them a try. And good news – there is already a sequel in the works, so you won’t have to miss this wonderful wizarding world for much longer. 

Sara Frazier is currently a freshman in the College of Communication at Boston University. In addition to writing, she is also passionate about coffee, Gilmore Girls, online shopping, and all things awesome. She hopes to one day pursue writing professionally, either as a journalist or screenwriter (it's okay not to have it figured out yet, right?), and is so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.