Why it’s OK if You Don’t Have an Internship this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re a COM major, there is a 99.9999% chance someone has asked you this question:

“So, where are you interning this summer?”

Of course, the person making this inquiry has already secured a spot at MTV or the New Yorker or the White House press room or something. And good for them! But there is something about the maddening, self-defeating search for the summer internship that I just couldn’t handle. Finally, I admitted defeat and found my old boss’s number.

At first, I was a little embarrassed. With my friends and peers scrambling to make interviews and securing spots at big-name companies, how would it look if I returned to my job at a supermarket for a SIXTH summer? In this competitive job market where internships are EVERYTHING, was I screwing myself over?

No, I decided. And here’s why:

1.) We live in BOSTON, people. This is not Podunk, Middle-of-Whocaresville, USA. We have more than our fair share of internship opportunities to take advantage of during the school year. Anyway, I find the academic atmosphere of BU helps me to be more focused and engaged in my work. If I’m living in NYC or L.A. during the dog days of summer, the last thing I want to do is write press releases or go on coffee runs.

2.) Summer is a time of rest and relaxation, at least in my opinion. Think about it, if you are running at full-speed 24/7/365, you are not doing your best work. I don’t care if you’re Wonder Woman, it’s just not possible.

3.) It’s the best time to get a minimum-wage job. You make SO much money! Seriously, generous tips from hungover/drunk/still-drunk-from-last-night patrons have consistently gotten me through fall semester.

4.) Free swag! Summer is the only time our parents have to make us (free) food and occasionally buy us nice things. Don’t deny them the nostalgia that comes with having a full house again. I know a lot of people who will do anything to avoid going back home for more than a few days, but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion.

5.) Our summers are kind of all we have left, as far as pretending that the real world is a long ways off. I feel a weirdly strong need to take advantage of them.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.