Why I Couldn’t Make it Past the First Episode of Netflix’s “Love is Blind”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The concept of Netflix’s new show, Love is Blind, is intriguing: it takes ten men and ten women and puts them into a true blind-dating scenario. They speak to each other only through walls in “pods,” never seeing the faces of the people they are speaking to. It’s like The Bachelor, but with equal numbers of guys and girls, and they can never see each other.

The concept seems unique in that it takes the physical attraction aspect out of dating. Anyone who’s seen The Bachelor knows that the show is full of similar-looking, extremely attractive contestants. But when you start watching Love is Blind, you notice what I find to be one of the most problematic aspects of the show: every single contestant is attractive.

I’m not kidding. They’re beautiful people. They all say that they’re sick of people falling in love with them because of their appearance rather than their personality, and while this may be an issue in their lives, it’s hard to take this problem seriously. Honestly, this is the part of the show that throws me off the most.

The other ridiculous aspect of the show is the timeline. Once two people decide to get engaged, they are able to meet each other in person, face to face, and spend the rest of the time on the show together.

I only watched the first episode, in which one couple got engaged. How long did they speak to each other before the guy proposed? Five days. Five days, a few conversations, one time where they cried together, and suddenly they’re engaged.

Perhaps the format of this show has the potential to allow people to find genuine love, but certainly not at the speed in which it occurs. Five days just isn’t enough time for real love that could last an entire lifetime to develop.

Maybe I’ll get around to watching the rest of the show if only to see if any of the couples actually survive to the end of the series, and where they get married on camera if they’re still together. I still can’t believe that they get engaged within about a week and married in about a month. I just couldn’t take that seriously.

Ultimately, Love is Blind is a good concept executed poorly. The idea of completely blind dating is interesting, but the timeline is absurd and literally all of the contestants are attractive. I just couldn’t make it through.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.