This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Red lipstick, golden eye shadow, and black eyeliner—I love it all. And I’m sure I’m not alone. But declaring my appreciation for the cosmetic industry hasn’t always been easy.

As a feminist, I often wondered if wearing makeup was a contradiction to gender equality. I wondered if, by wearing makeup, I was conforming to societal expectations of femininity. By applying foundation, I wondered if I was participating in the prescribed gender roles I passionately disapproved of.

Finally, I snapped out of it. Why should I shame myself for putting effort into my appearance? Wearing makeup doesn’t make me any less of a feminist. I don’t get “dolled-up” to meet society’s expectations, and I definitely don’t get “dolled-up” for men. I do it for me.

Red lipstick makes me feel powerful and independent—sexy, even. I don’t know what it is about eyeliner, but having a cat-eye makes me feel invincible. People who say, ‘makeup is only used by shy and insecure girls’ are wrong. Makeup is about refining your beauty and accentuating it. Makeup is a form of expression, and it’s fun. Makeup isn’t about covering my flaws, it’s about rocking my features.

Waking up a few minutes early to curl my eyelashes doesn’t make me superficial or fake, it’s time spent doing something that makes me happy. If women are applauded for having a fashion sense, why should they feel guilty for contouring their cheekbones?

Like everything else, makeup is a choice. Some women love it, others couldn’t care less. Regardless, it shouldn’t be stigmatized. If makeup helps you feel beautiful and confident, then go for it! It doesn’t make you any less of a feminist, and it definitely doesn’t make you insecure or superficial.

I believe I am beautiful and powerful with or without makeup—but I’ll also be the first one to snatch up MAC’s new lipstick line. And you know what? That’s perfectly okay.

Savanah Macdonald is a rising sophomore at Boston University's College of Communication. She is studying to receive a BS in communication with a concentration in Public Relations. She is the Public Relations Manager for the BU Community Service Center, and the Creative Director of Promotion for PRSSA's annual PR Conference. She is also a photojournalist for the Daily Free Press. She played ice hockey for 14 years, and has recently taken up figure skating. As an aspiring PR professional, Savanah hopes to dive into the fashion/cosmetic industries to help brands engage with and empower women and men. She takes her coffee black and is addicted to all things avocado.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.