What to Know Before you go Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Going abroad is an adventure that everyone should seriously consider having before leaving college. Foreign language, schooling, culture (boys), and adventure that allows you to deem yourself worldly before you’ve even turned 25! But there are tricks of the trade not even the most savvy Thought Catalog reader has picked up on. Luckily for you, HCBU has done some data mining and found the top tips to know before you go :)

1. If you want to travel, plan ahead!!

Of all the tips I received, this was by far the most important. For collegiettes in the UK, Ryanair, Norwegian Airlines, and Air Lingas seemed to be reliable airlines, while trains worked for those in the continental Europe. BUT beware of carry-on dimensions! European Airlines make you actually check their sizes, unlike here where they just eyeball them. When traveling, pack light (meaning, one pair of jeans, 2-3 shirts to layer, a sweatshirt, undies and shoes) for a weekend away so you don’t have to check a bag. Check websites like hostelworld.com for hostels when traveling and weigh the costs and benefits of having a private bath or a private room- sometimes it’s worth it when sharing with friends.

2. What to bring

According to the wisdom of those who have traveled before us, common items forgotten include:

• Deodorant (apparently Europe’s is different than Americas),
  • European hair straighteners (which have different voltage allowances),
  • Ethernet cords (since not everywhere has wifi… yet)
  • A lock, not unlike the ones we had in middle school, for those hostels.
  • Bring American medicine if you’re particular- not only are the dosages different, but you may not know exactly what you’re getting if you’re not familiar with the brand. 
  • Notebooks (which are more expensive in Europe)
  • Extra passport photos (just in case)

3. Mo Money, Mo Problems

Foreign ATM charges suck. There’s no way around that. Look into credit cards that don’t charge foreign transaction fees (TD Bank and CapitalOne are a few) and when you use an ATM, take out a decent amount of cash and leave it at home- taking only what you plan to spend each day/ outing.

Take advantage of student discounts (which I hear are everywhere) or look into an ISIC (International Student ID Card), which will give you a ton of discounts for hotels and traveling. If you budget carefully, you should be fine!

4. Before you leave

• Set up the insurance given to you by the school/ your program- you may need it abroad and it’s better to have it than not!
  • Look into trips and hostels for breaks- book as much as you can beforehand.
  • Figure out a cell phone- many people buy a pay-as-you-go or a monthly plan in their host country, or a global SIM card, which will give you global internet. Still others use internet at school/ home and use Viber, WhatsApp, and Skype to keep in touch.
  • Make copies of important documents (visa, passport, social security card, license, student ID) and keep them in a super safe place- like in your dorm safe.

You’re a smart and savvy collegiate who will, with these tips, travel Europe like a pro come time to go abroad. Have fun!!  

Quinn Rodriguez is a junior at Boston University in the School of Management. Coming from beautiful Los Angeles, she deals with the Boston Winters, but loves spring more. Serving as the PR Chair for her fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha is pretty much her favorite thing ever, right next to red lipstick and people watching. Check her out at: http://quinnrodriguezonline.wordpress.com 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.