What It’s Like to Read “Percy Jackson” as an Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m a huge reader, which is obvious if you know me at all, or follow me on Instagram (shameless plug for my blog @cessierooreads). I love most of the books everyone else cherishes, like Harry Potter, and have reread them several times. However, it occurred to me around this time last year that I had never read Percy Jackson! I don’t know how I missed this as a kid, but it wasn’t something I ever got into. So, obviously, I had to read it as an adult and see what all the hype was about!

I read the series over a span of about a year. Usually, I’ll read a series in a week if all the books are already published, but I got involved in reading other books over last summer and fall. I began with reading books one through three, and this spring I read the rest of the series in a buddy read with a friend! My immediate reaction to the books was ADDICTION. I loved the story, even as an audience older than anticipated from the author. Riordan really pulls together the well-known myths and the new story/characters well. I just kept wanting to grab the next book right after I finished the one I was currently reading!

I definitely liked the beginning of the series more than the end. The last book was very action-packed, which can be a lot of people’s cup of tea, but it’s just not something that I particularly love, and probably causes my favor to lean to the beginning of the series. My friend (she’s also an adult) who was reading the last few books alongside me, likes action scenes, and adored the last book in the series!

I probably won’t pick up the series as often as I pick up Harry Potter, but I’m definitely joining the Percy Jackson fan club. I’m also interested in picking up more books by Rick Riordan – I know he has several other series and spin-offs. My boyfriend is currently reading his Norse-themed series and enjoying it thoroughly! I’d seriously consider reading this book if you’re looking for something quick and super fun. Even as an adult, the series still holds a lot of magic.

Photo Credits:  http://rickriordan.com/series/percy-jackson-and-the-olympians/, the artist  https://viria.tumblr.com/search/percy+jackson/page/4 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.