What It’s Like to Be A Southerner Going to School in the Northeast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I get it. You’re Southern. You love the South, but you really want to go to a big city, so you head to the Northeast. Maybe New York City, maybe Boston, or Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Philly, or one of the many other amazing large cities in the Northeast. But you’re definitely not from here, and you never claimed to be. But what is it like to be a Southerner up here in the Northeast?

You get here and you’re so insanely excited because the North seems so cool.

All of your friends stayed at home for school and you’re totally sad because you’re really missing them.

But still, you’re so so excited to be in a big city because TV and movies make it look so cool and cute.

You love being in the big city and you totally think your life is going to be just like Gossip Girl or Sex and the City.

Then you go to your first restaurant and you find out that sweet tea literally doesn’t exist up here. “We don’t have sweet tea, but I can bring you Splenda”… No, it’s not the same.

People laugh at you when you try to “Bless their little heart”

But, everyone loves your Southern-ness and you love being able to say that you’re from the South because people always think it’s so original and cool.

You automatically connect with other Southerners and bond over absolutely everything Southern

When people tell you they “don’t like country music”

You always wear your bows and pearls shamelessly…

Your Southern heart breaks because no one here tailgates. All of your knowledge about coolers, tents, and tailgate chairs is suddenly useless. And your recipes for game day are irrelevant.

When you cook, everyone makes fun of how much butter, sugar, and salt you use

But you know that no one makes real Southern food up here so you have to make it yourself.

And it feels so weird to not have a car, but you definitely couldn’t have one up here

You’re constantly freezing after like October, even when no one else seems to be cold.

All of your friends from home have so many questions about what it’s like to go to school in the North.

But no matter what, your heart is always in the South. Southern pride!

I'm a Film and Television major in the college of Communications with a minor in Women's Studies at Boston University. I'm from Louisville, Kentucky. Find me on Instagram: @taylormedford_19
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis