This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A quick update on my cooking abilities since I know everyone wants to know: I can make breakfast now! But, I still do go out for dinner probably three or four times per week, which is how I found this gem in the Seaport district. Even though it is far away, Rosa Mexicano is worth the journey. I found it while looking for a Mexican restaurant to go to with my brother, and it happened to be the only place I could get a last minute reservation for on a Friday.

When we walked into the restaurant, I quickly realized that the reason we could get a reservation at the last minute is because the place is huge. They have both indoor and outdoor seating, but the dining room by itself is pretty massive, which is good for two things: fitting lots of people and social distancing! Even with tables spread apart, the place could fit a ton of people—and it did. Rosa Mexicano was abuzz with activity. As the hostess led us to our table, people were chattering all around us, waiters and waitresses were twirling between tables, and the sweet smell of Mexican food was all-encompassing.

I consider dining to be just as much about the experience as it is about the food. My experience at Rosa Mexicano was top-notch. Firstly, our waiter was lovely. Despite the place being so busy, he was always nearby to refill our drinks and plates, and he did it with a smile. Secondly, the food was incredible. Seriously, it was so good. Third, the location of Rosa Mexicano may be far from BU, but it is right next to the Boston Harbor. After our meal, we walked along the water before heading home. From beginning to end, the night was delightful.

To bring it back to my second point, let’s talk about the food. The menu is very manageable in that it is big enough to give you plenty of choices but not so big that you will be overwhelmed. We started our order off with the Queso Fundido, which is basically a skillet of melted cheese that comes with a side of little tortillas. It was a really good size for a starter because they give you just enough food to keep you wanting more but you don’t get too full. The people I was with shared this with me and also got the Sopa De Tortilla soup to start—which I also tried and enjoyed very much—and they were happy with the amount of food they had before their entrees.

For my entree, I decided to order the Quesadilla De Pollo, which ended up being a fantastic choice. Not only were the chicken quesadillas cooked to perfection with oozing cheese and a crispy outer layer, but the sides that came with it were also what really made the meal. Included in the meal are three sides: rice, beans, and esquites. I didn’t know what esquites were before this experience and now I consider them a must-have when I’m eating Mexican food. Esquites is a Mexican street corn dish, and at Rosa Mexicano, they make it with the perfect amount of spice that makes your nose run a little bit (but in a good way). I will also add the disclaimer that I cannot handle my spices, so for those of you out there who willfully add hot sauce to everything you eat, the esquites probably wouldn’t even make you blink. They did make my nose run though. Anyways, the combination of the esquites with the black bean puree was insanely good. Add that to the quesadilla and the queso from the beginning of the meal, and my experience was an all around A+. One of the people I was with also ordered a side of Platanos, which I tried and as a lover of plantains, I was very pleased with how they tasted.

Overall, my meal cost about $25, which was definitely on the more expensive side. However, the quality of the food and service together made the dinner worth the price for me. Like I said before, the dining experience is just as important to me as the food is, and my experience at Rosa Mexicano was outstanding. It will definitely be something I treat myself to again in the future.

Rosa Mexicano is the perfect place to take your friends or family to on a Friday night. It is also a great place to go to get away from campus—and doing so will give you an opportunity to check out the Seaport district, which I would highly recommend.

For more information on Rosa Mexicano, visit their website here.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Catherine is from Boston MA. She is a junior in the College of Communications at Boston University. Her hobbies include reading and taking walks, and she is also a member of BU's sailing team. Catherine has been a writer for Her Campus since the fall of 2020, and recently joined the editing team this past fall. She is currently pursuing a major in journalism and a minor in English.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.