Wear Flats and Have Google Maps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s late on a Friday night and your feet are killing you. Those sexy high heel shoes that you thought made your legs look so hot at the beginning of the night are feeling more and more like a big mistake. With hope in your eyes, you look down at the ground only to find that no, taking your shoes off and stepping on the broken glass is not an option.  Still, that’s not even the worst of your problems. See, that the girl you are following who is friends with someone who is friends with someone else, she thinks she knows where she is going, but isn’t really sure.  All the while you are told repeatedly by random strangers not to stop and regroup in front of their house. This is the freshman crawl. A freshman right of passage where fresh-faced first years migrate in a pack from party to party in the hopes of getting in.  Most of the time, they don’t so there is a lot of walking involved. Some lucky frosh get in to those “epic” parties because they know someone inside, but for the majority of us freshmen… good luck knowing an upperclassman that isn’t your orientation leader.

Still, don’t give up hope. Even if you are an aficionado on partying or you are just like I was when I first went out on the freshmen crawl, you should still consi
der a few of these helpful hints. For one, it’s better to be on time for these things. Yes we have all heard the saying that it’s better to be fashionably late, but when over fifty freshmen all want to get in at the same time its much better to be at the front of the line then at the back.  Second, wear semi-comfortable shoes or at least carry a pair of flats in your purse so that you don’t end up doing permanent damage to your feet and/or ruining your whole look by stumbling around in pain. By wearing flats you also won’t be tempted to walk on the sidewalk, which is probably the last place you would ever want to walk barefoot on. Third, and most importantly, figure out where you are going before you leave and then figure out somewhere else you can go if you don’t get into “Option A”. Otherwise, you will end up walking all over the place without getting in anywhere, which is just frustrating. If this happens to you, make sure you are prepared and have Google maps. Don’t be lost down a sketchy road at midnight.

So, if you ever find yourself in a situation where all these tips fail you and you are getting increasingly frustrated, your feet hurt and you are tired… don’t be afraid to call it a night, order pizza and watch movies with friends in your room.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.