A Very Safe 2012 SAG Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

After every award show, my immediate reaction is to discuss the red carpet do’s and dont’s with girlfriends. However, the 2012 SAG Award’s left me with little to talk about and say. I was very disappointed with the lack of color, bold jewelry pieces and intricate gowns. I felt that nearly every actress (of course, not all) played it safe. No one dared to stand out by experimenting with new trends or hairdos. Two out of my three favorites were wearing black…a color I never thought I would appreciate on the red carpet.

1. Former WWE wrestler and current girlfriend of George Clooney, Stacy Keibler, made a simple and stunning appearance on the red carpet in a Marchesa gown. The lace work on the dress was beautiful and hugged Keibler’s figure in all the right areas. The slight mermaid train added a little extra detail to extenuate her curves. I also loved her loose updo—was a classic old-Hollywood bun, but looked effortless and chic.

2. Another favorite of the night was Emma Stone who opted for an Alexander McQueen calve-length dress. Most actresses choose floor-length gowns with trains, but Stone took a risk and looked incredible. She also allowed the dress to speak for itself, with minimalist jewels and accessories. However, I did love the strappy satin heels she chose to wear because they made her legs look long and lean. Stone took a bit of a risk by wearing this dress, but she nailed the look from head-to-toe.

3. My third favorite of the night was Lea Michele, who made a big comeback after choosing an unflattering dress for the 2012 Golden Globes. She went with a subdued color—a light grey Versace Atelier gown. However, Michele is never afraid to show a little skin and this peek-a-boo slit showed off her flawless legs. I also loved that she went for a more natural look with little makeup and a simple blowout.

After all, sometimes less is more. My three favorites definitely proved that you don’t have to over-do the accessories, makeup or hairdos in order to look your best. Although too many actresses played it safe for the 2012 SAGS, there are always a few that exemplify the true glamour and sophistication of award season.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.