Unrealistic Expectations Gilmore Girls Gave Us For College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For the seven years Gilmore Girls was on the air, bookworm daughter Rory Gilmore served as inspiration for girls across America to work hard and attend the college of their dreams. However, for those of us who imagined our own collegiate experience would be identical to the youngest Gilmore’s lavish and quirky Yale lifestyle, actual undergrad life has proven to have some very important differences.

1. Your dorm will probably not be furnished like a luxury hotel suite

Unless you’re lucky enough to have a grandmother like Emily Gilmore who will secretly deck out your common room with plush furniture and a giant stereo system, your living space will likely look a bit more humble than Rory’s.

2.  Your roommate most likely won’t end up being your best high school frenemy 

Paris having her life coach request that she be Rory’s roommate because “their journey was not complete” was simultaneously one of the sweetest and creepiest things she ever did.

3.  Despite Paris’ advice, it is not a good idea to start dating a professor.

No way would Asher Fleming actually have been able to keep his position at Yale.

4.  If you lend your robe to the passed out to a naked stranger in your hallway, you will probably never see it again. 

And unfortunately that stranger will probably not wind up being as adorable and dorky as Marty.

Although the show did manage to get some things right about college life!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.