The Truth About Pitbulls – Why You Should Adopt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Pitbulls are known as the most dangerous dog breed. This reputation means that anywhere from 33 to 64 percent of dogs in shelters are pit bulls. According to Save a Bull Rescue, “About 75% of municipal shelters euthanize pit bulls immediately upon intake.” This number means almost 3,000 pitbulls are being euthanized daily. Even advertising a mutt as part pitbull brings down its chance of adoption significantly.

Unfortunately, pitbulls are also the most populous breed in the United States. This overpopulation is due to the many stray pitbulls who are not spayed/neutered. Adopting a pitbull from a shelter not only saves their life but also helps control their population. PETA sterilizes around 100 pitbulls per month for free. They believe the best way to prevent pitbulls from being killed in shelters is to prevent more stray pitbulls from being born. Any dog that is not sterilized or trained properly is at risk of being aggressive and harmful to humans. Sterilizing a pitbull will increase their potential for adoption and being a well-rounded pet.

Photo credit: Save a Bull MN

Adopting a pitbull means that you are saving a life. Most pitbulls never even make it to the adoption stage at a shelter; they are euthanized before this chance. These dogs are a product of their environment, being overbred to fight and then often left for dead afterward. We as a society branded these dogs as dangerous, yet we are the ones who bred them to be fought and then do little to help when they are on the streets or in kill shelters. This breed deserves a second chance, and if you can give them one, you should.

Photo credit: Bark Post

The main concern with adopting a pitbull is the fear of them biting a human. Although they are the leading breed in fatal dog bites per year, these statistics do not take into account their population density in relation to other dog breeds. In a study conducted by the U.S. Center for Disease Control, pitbulls do not have the highest dog bite fatality rate relative to their population. This data was traced over 20 years in the United States with pitbulls ranking 9th in the highest percentage of population involved in fatal bites. Dogs such as malamutes, huskies and great danes all ranked higher. This means that in relation to their population density, pitbulls are not nearly as dangerous as previously assumed.

Photo credit: Pitbull Info

Pitbulls were once known as the “nanny dog” because they have territorial and protective instincts which make them both good guard and family dogs. These personality traits can easily be abused to create an aggressive and overprotective animal. This does not mean that all pitbulls who are abused are going to be dangerous, more often than not pitbulls are more fearful than violent of people after abuse.

These dogs are similar to any other breed, they are loyal, strong and intelligent companions who do not deserve to be killed at the rate they are. This is why you should give a pitbull a chance. They certainly deserve it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Taylor is a freshman at BU with a dual degree in International Relations and Journalism. She loves vegan food, writing poetry and art museums.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.