True Life: I Made It Through Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ll try and make this as least cliché as possible, but forgive me if it sounds like the typical “What I Wish I Knew Before Freshmen Year” article. This is somewhat specific to BU but generally my advice for any college freshman. College is unlike any experience you have had before, it is NOT like summer camp and it is most definitely not like high school. Hope this is somewhat helpful for the new terriers on campus.

1. Take orientation seriously
Everyone will tell you that you make friends at orientation just to have someone to spend that awkward time with and then you’ll pretend you don’t know each other after that. While this is true in some cases, but my five closest friends at school were people I met at orientation, and the other friend’s I have made have been through other people’s “orientation friends.” Orientation will feel like summer camp, especially at BU because you come in the middle of the summer and stay overnight, but that being said participate and look for people like your friends from home. I always introduced myself to people by complimenting them on their clothes. Also I wasn’t prepared to register for classes when I attended, so pick an early orientation if you can so the classes won’t be full and look at courses etc. before you leave.

2. FYSOP
People say they wish they did. I don’t regret not doing it, but if all of your friends from home are leaving earlier than you then it is something fun to do to fill the gap. Having your FYSOP leader is a good way to get to know upper classmen and people make lasting friendships in their groups. Also, if you move in early (FYSOP is the week before everyone moves in) then you can pick the “better side of the room.”

3. Consider going Greek
Yes this isn’t for everyone and yes it is not a major part of BU’s campus; however, at least consider rushing. BU’s recruitment doesn’t happen until second semester so you have awhile to make your decision. (Yes I am a little bias because I am in Greek life) But, I have had incredible opportunists through people in my sorority, there are many benefits with knowing upperclassmen, and we don’t have the stereotypical “Greek row.” Sororities do not have houses and fraternities’ houses are all off campus, so basically if Greek life isn’t your cup of tea then I promise we aren’t annoying about it.

4. Roommate Rules
Go random. Do not room with someone you know from highschool and do not pick your roommate from someone you met at orientation. While I do encourage you to make real friends at orientation, you don’t get to know everything about the person just after a couple of days. You will feel inclined to hang out with people you know from high school at first, but I promise you that you will all take separate paths. You don’t want people limiting you (which people you already know will, even though not intentionally). To avoid any issues, if you are going to school with either a good friend or people you already know make a weekly dinner or lunch plan that fits in everyone’s schedule so you can stay updated on each other’s lives opposed to rooming with them and regretting it later.

Once you do have your roommate, make rules the first day you meet. Explain your living habits, sleeping schedule, and tell her when you have your classes. Lay everything out so there aren’t any issues in the future. Make sure you talk about when you like to watch TV, if you plan on having friends in the room, what you plan to do on the weekends, if you know you’ll be having people stay over etc. If you have problems with your roommate tell her when something bothers you instead of letting it build up. People do and will move out, if that happens BU has a direct swap system that is a little hard to figure out but talk to your RA and he/she will explain it all.

5. Study habits 
You will have a lot more time and a lot less work. In the city it isn’t hard to find things to do to fill your free time but you have to make sure you don’t get caught up in the freedom. When you do have exams or papers they take a lot more effort, require a lot more time, and count a lot more towards your grade. Because of this you have to take assignments seriously and actually re-read your final draft of a paper. BU is notorious for deflating grades, it isn’t impossible but it is difficult to earn an ‘A’ especially if you are premed. 

6. You Will Gain Weight
Sorry girls, but its true. You’re drinking more, eating more late at night, having coffee religiously, not exercising, and eating unhealthy food. If you expect it, then it isn’t so bad. It happens to everyone, so to help avoid gaining a lot of weight and to stay healthy go to the gym weekly (we’re lucky to have a gorgeous gym) and try and eat some of the Sargent Healthy Choice meals. The dinning hall isn’t awful but there are tempting foods like fries and pizza available all the time (but there’s also a salad bar). Basically just be somewhat self-controlling and you’ll be fine.

7. Duh, get involved
Yes you can sleep, watch TV, and shop all you want, but there is so much more to college than that. Some of the amazing clubs to check out at BU are the CSC (Community Service Center), FAB (Fashion and Retail Association), any of the cultural clubs, the multitude of theatre programs, dance/acapella groups (The Dear Abbeys, BosTones, Fusion) the list goes on and on (here is a full list). If you’re in COM (like me) then make sure to get involved in some of the school’s publications (The Daily Free Press, The BUzz, The Quad, to name a few). You don’t have to be involved with them but see a performance or attend some of their events.

Explore Boston. Don’t just get involved on campus, but off as well. Boston has so many great events, concerts, and restaurants. Know the T, Kenmore square area, Allston, the Boston Public Library and many many more. Some of the great restaurants off campus that are: Scoozi, UBurger, Fins Sushi, Sunset, Angora, Big City, and Brown Sugar. Allston village has great thrift stores (Buffalo Exchange) and awesome, cheap restaurants, so be sure to check it out.

8. Housing (skip this if you aren’t an incoming freshman)
This is probably the biggest thing on your mind. Although some options are better than others, BU housing has its pros and cons. The options (even for freshmen) are diverse but it’s really what you make of it. Here is my own survey for choosing your freshman dorm.

Would you rather live in a

1. Typical freshmen dorm
  2. Nicer building and room but only have a few people on your floor

If you chose ‘b’ then you should look into the brown stone options, if you chose ‘a’ see next question

Would you rather live in a building that is

1. Close to classes but a little dirty and with a large dining hall
  2. Renovated building far from classes but near restaurants and places to go on the weekend
  3. Newish building, close-ish to classes but smaller and far away from weekend spots

If you picked ‘a’ then you would like Warren Towers, ‘b,’ would be one of the West Campus dorms, and ‘c’ would be The Towers, Shelton, or Myles Standish.

As for the following years at BU try and get pulled in or go off campus because the housing system for sophomores and juniors kind of sucks.

9. Your friends “from home”
Keeping in touch. The Internet (mainly Skype) makes this pretty easy but both you and your friends will be having extremely different experiences. Be sensitive to how other people are adjusting. If you have friends who visit and stay overnight make sure it’s worth it. It is overwhelming to have guests (especially in a city and with BU’s security) but keep in mind a lot of the times having guests does not go as planned. College is also a great time to find out who your true friends are. Most of your friendships will last but some will dwindle (usually for the better).

10. Money
You will be broke. Whatever money you made over the summer will be gone. At the end of the year you will check your balance and be shocked. Try getting an on campus job if possible, because living in the city is very expensive. Your convenience and dinning points are great and will pay for all your food, supplies, books, and coffee; however being close to Newbury, taking cabs, and wanting to go out to dinner empties your bank account. Always have at least $20 cash on you to pay for things in case of an emergency.   

11. BU online
One last thing, BU is a very social media savvy school. #getonourlevel

BU Today
Twitter accounts: @BUSGProblems, @buquad, @HerCampusBU, @StuffBULikes, @dailyfreepress, @TheBUBUzz, @DeanElmore, @BU_Tweets, @BUSnowAlert, @BUCSC, @theGSU, @BUBookstore, @Kegfly_BU, @BU_FYI, @BUOffCampus, @butoday, @BUgirlproblems, @MugarLib, @harvardhoochies
Stuff BU Kids Like
Rate BU
Like a Little
the quad

Again, I am only a freshmen and have a lot to learn, this is just my advice for those coming on campus for the first time in the fall. 

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.
Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!