Transportation Tips: 5 Apps on the Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the release of the iPhone 6 and “Okay, Google” commercials, I think it is safe to say that we live in a technologically advanced world and can’t get enough. Phones are luxurious items. There is so much we can do at the touch of a button, which makes us rely on mobiles 24/7. We have questions and we look to apps for answers. Living at Boston University, transportation is a primary concern. Commonwealth Avenue is a long street and Boston is a big place. For non-Bostonians or Masshabitants, getting around the city is no picnic. Learning the subway and bus schedule takes a few months (or years), memorizing the BU shuttle stops takes a few weeks, and trying to hone a sense of direction takes time and practice. Being an avid traveler, I have found five lifesaver apps. These free transportation apps will change your life (and pace).

1. Transit

This app tracks down the T. If you’re rushing from West Campus to make it to your 8 AM in CAS and the BU shuttle is running late and you don’t know how long the next T will arrive, download the Transit app and save the worries. On the app, you plug in the starting station and ending station and the time you are going to leave. In an instant, you see how many minutes until the next metro. The estimated time of arrival is almost always correct. 

2. BU Mobile

If you haven’t downloaded the BU Mobile app, then you have either lost your phone, built your own BU app or didn’t know it existed. By owning this app, you will know the whereabouts of the BU Shuttle seven days a week. BU is a large campus and a friendly lift doesn’t hurt once in awhile, especially during the winter months. All of you non-app users have impeccable timing. 

3. Boston Cab

Boston Cab has a phone number, but the company app expedites the scheduling process. At any time or day, you can arrange a taxi pick-up in under two minutes. The app doesn’t ask for much except for your departure and arrival destinations, phone number, and a payment method. Plus, you are allowed to specify the type of car. Within no time you are notified about your driver and called once the cab arrives. Make sure to wait in a Wi-Fi area. 

5. Google Maps

The name says it all, but the neat trick about this app is the navigation system. You’re probably thinking, “Why do I need this app? There is a Maps built into the iPhone already.” No argument there. However, the Google Maps’ voice guidance feature differentiates itself from the other Maps app. Google’s clear screen images and glitch-free voice system will help steer you in the right direction.

Lyft and Uber are valid apps as well, but I believe both are a bit more personal. I leave the choice to you.

Download as you please. Happy Traveling!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.