books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Top Reads For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The final stretch is among us with spring break finally in sight. While your head is filled with a wealth of knowledge from all the exams you just aced along with the stress of travel arrangements, it’s almost like we’ve forgotten how to just relax. We deserve to give our brain a break, but still keep the juices flowing as the smart college women that we are. This list will keep your brain entertained and happy while you relax in the sun, on the go, or in the comfort of your own home.

1. Room

Written by Emma Donoghue, this book is told from the perspective of a five year old boy held captive with his mother. Inspired by the Fritzl case that came out of Austria in 2008, this book is sure to keep you wanting to turn the page. After you are done reading, be sure to check out the film version that came out last November.  

2. Secret Garden Coloring Book

Art therapy coloring books have been making a strong appearance in bookstores recently. Coloring is not only relaxing, but the final product is quite satisfying. Grab some colored pencils and get ready to experience the same happy place you felt as a child coloring.

3. The Boys in the Boat

Rowing could mean nothing to you but something you sometimes see along the Charles River, but this book will make you a big fan. Brown tells the story of the nine American working- class boys who went on to win the 1936 Olympics in Berlin despite the Depression. These boys captured the attention of Americans and changed the face of the sport.

4. Tuesdays With Morrie

This quick read will leave you feeling fulfilled and like you were apart of the relationship between this professor and former student. Morrie Schwartz taught sociology at Brandeis University and suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in his latter years. Sports columnist Mitch Albom heard of his former teacher’s illness and paid a visit that turned into 13 more visits. This is a book about love, acceptance, happiness, and human connection.

5. Serial

If you haven’t been a part of the excitement around Sarah Koenig’s podcast series, you’re missing out. Season Two is about Bowe Bergdahl, the American soldier who was held captive by the Taliban for five years after leaving his post in 2009. Many people have strong opinions about this case, those affected by it, and the military. Sarah goes deep inside the case and gathers information from all different angles. It’s free to download and your eyes don’t even have to be open to enjoy it!

6. Modern Romance

Written by stand-up comedian Aziz Ansari and sociologist Eric Klinenberg this book delves into the adventure of finding love and how technology has changed the dating game. This book uses real world social science with comedy.

7. Pretty Happy

This is a feel-good book on how to develop a closer relationship with your body. Everyone can use a little more self-love and Kate Hudson leaves out the fluffy BS. She includes questionnaires to evaluate where you are, advice about maintaining a well-balanced diet, and interactive exercise plans.   

Alana is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. While a born and bred New Englander hopelessly in love with the city of Boston, she derives much enjoyment out of planning trips to faraway places. She enjoys meeting new people, stealing Crossfit workouts off of 'box' websites, practicing yoga, and watching Grey's Anatomy. Her life-long goals include advocating for women's empowerment and promoting overall well-being.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.