Top 5 Thanksgiving Must-Haves On The Dinner Table

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, I want to help you prepare the most memorable family dinner with dishes that are essential to the table.

The beauty of this list is that it serves as an outline for your personalized dinner. Nothing is set in stone, but these dishes will surely build the fall holiday aesthetic you’ve been waiting for.

The Bird

The main event of the table is going to be the bird. It’s all over calendars, magazines, and commercials to represent the holiday.

In the past, it’s been challenging to choose what bird to cook between turkey, chicken, duck, or a combination of all: a turducken. The size of your dinner party determines the size of your bird. A turkey is pretty big, so for smaller dinners, a chicken would be perfect.

Mashed Potatoes

As you dive into the sides, I highly suggest shopping for some potatoes, butter, and cream.

Almost everyone you’ll ask will say mashed potatoes are their favorite Thanksgiving dish and a staple to the table. Not only is it a fan favorite, but it’s super easy to whip up in a matter of minutes. You could also get creative and sprinkle on black pepper and chives!

Stuffing

When people hear the word turkey, they associate it with its natural complement: stuffing.

This bread-based dish doesn’t necessarily have to be in the bird, but it makes a lovely side to enjoy with the people you love. Thanksgiving dinners are all about sharing, so the more sides, the better.

Sauce

Among all these dishes, we can’t forget the essential that ties it all together: the sauce. Options include gravy and cranberry sauce, which can both be homemade or store-bought.

I know some people prefer their plate sauce-free, but for those who don’t, a gravy boat is an absolute must at the table. A slice of turkey with a dollop of cranberry sauce on top is making my mouth water already…

Dessert

After feasting on a marvelous dinner, we can’t forget about dessert. To prepare, the table should be covered with plenty of sweet dishes such as pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple cider donuts, pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate chip cookies, fudge brownies, fruit tarts, and the list goes on forever.

Ideally, a pie or two should do the trick, but your dessert menu is totally up to you!

I hope this list helps you cook up a memorable, delicious dinner your guests will gobble up this season. Here’s to a holiday of gratitude, football, and family!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

hi guys! i’m kacy & i’m from south jersey! i’ll be studying marketing at the questrom school of business. some of my favorite things to do are listening to music, going out with friends, exploring the city, working out, & shopping. i also love smoothie bowls and a good coffee. i’m so excited to meet new people and have fun‼️