Style > Fashion

Top 5 Essentials for a Stylish Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As much as I hate that the cold is approaching, a new season means new outfits and new ways to channel your inner creativity. The fall transition is always a bit difficult for me, as I am 100% a summer girl at heart (so why do I live in Boston? Not sure). With that being said, the fall challenges me to experiment and try new styles. Taking the extra 10 minutes in the morning to choose an outfit that I truly love makes all the difference in my mood and how my day plays out. I curated a fall lookbook that consists of essential clothing pieces and accessories for autumn 2021 — here my top five favorites:

Denim, denim, denim

Denim is probably the most versatile fabric that works for any of the four seasons. But, I’d say denim jackets are best suited for the fall. They are cute, chic, and keep you warm. I purchased my favorite denim piece from J.Crew and it has made life so much easier. I mean, you can just throw it on over any outfit, no matter how simple, and it automatically enhances your look. I’d even argue that denim jackets look best with white crop tops and black leggings (I’m basic, I know). If you’re feeling extra fun, try an all-denim fit! I haven’t personally gone for all-denim before because I feel like it can either look super cute or super not—there is no in between. But I’m sure you can pull it off!

classic black boots

You can never go wrong with black boots, especially in the fall. Banana Republic sells my favorite pair, but you can find them virtually anywhere. Since black goes with anything, you can pair these classics with any outfit. My personal favorite combos are black boots with blue jeans and a fun blouse or a simple blazer. And if you’re short like me, I highly recommend boots with a tiny bit of heel. Trust me, they make you feel unstoppable.

asos platform boots
Photo via ASOS
cropped sweaters

As someone who gets cold very easily, I need my outfits to be warm and cozy. It was only a few years ago that I realized how sweaters are not only ideal for warmth — they can also be very stylish! Sweaters generally have a bad rep, but I promise when you find “the one” it will change your whole outlook. My favorite piece is one I purchased from Zara last year. It’s pink (obviously), a little glimmery, and perfectly cropped — not too much. After this moment, I began dedicating sweaters as a go-to fall essential. Though I love oversized hoodies as well, nothing compares to cropped sweaters. They are truly the best.

expressive accessories

Since the cold can sometimes restrain you from truly embodying your outfit under an annoying winter coat of some sort, accessories make up for it! In the fall, I love experimenting with different types of jewelry. I try out different necklaces, bracelets, and different sizes of hoop earrings depending on the day and my mood. Some other fall accessories I recommend include artsy rings, colorful and earth-toned mini shoulder bags, and maybe even a simple scarf!

cinched trench jacket or leather basics

Last but not least, two of my favorites are cinched trench jackets and leather jackets. You can never go wrong with an off-white, brown, or beige (my personal favorite) trench jacket. Don’t mistake trench jackets for trench coats, though. The jackets are much shorter and easier to move in. They honestly look like the colorful alternative to leather jackets. Leather jackets are also very classy and stylish, and they are almost as versatile as denim. They look cute with any outfit, and they are overall one of my favorite pieces of all time.

princess polly leather jacket
Photo via Princess Polly

I hope this quick lookbook gives you ideas on how you can look and feel your best this fall. Feel free to add your personal touch to each of these essentials. After all, fashion is all about expressing who you are and what makes you unique.

The fall weather might actually not be so bad now!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Wish Pandey is a senior at Boston University studying International Relations and Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Wish loves to read, travel, and attend concerts!