Things You Would Do in 2008 That You Would Never Do Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In the midst of this historic election season, it’s important to look back at the last time we had a chance to make history. Even though we had an election in 2012 when we re-elected Obama, the last time the Presidential Election was this important was in 2008 when Americans had to decide between Obama and McCain. It seems like a totally different world now than it was when we elected our first black President.

Here are 9 things that were totally normal in 2008 that you would never do now:

1). Shop at Abercrombie 

2008 meant junior high for many college students, and junior high meant Abercrombie and Hollister ruled the hallways of your Middle School. 

2). Straightening your hair into oblivion

What was it about 2008 that made us all want to fry our hair?

3). Text using T9 On Your Motorola Razr. 

Be honest though, you miss these a little.

4). Consider the terrifying possibility that Donald Trump could be next President. 

In 2008, the biggest joke in politics was Sarah Palin claiming to see Russia from her house. Now we have a new SNL worthy political blunder every day. 

5). Wait eagerly for the first Twilight movie. 

And argue with your friends about being #TeamEdward or #TeamJacob 

6). Attend a school dance. 

It was probably held in the gym and you probably awkwardly grinded with tween boys to Ke$ha’s Tik Tok.

7). Go to Blockbuster.

Netflix was still new; so, Blockbuster remained a necessity for any sleepover.

8). tYpeE lIkEe DiS 

Why did we do this? What were we trying to achieve?  

9). Vote for Obama.

*Cries forever because he can’t be president anymore* 

This isn’t to say things haven’t gotten better since 2008 (the recession is over, same-sex marriage equality is a thing, Instagram exists), but wow things are different!

What did you do in 2008 that you would never do now?

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.