Things I Should Have Outgrown But Haven’t Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There reaches a certain time in our lives were we must let go of childhood things: braces, middle school, the inability to drive (yes!). However, some of these things are harder to give up than others. There is a certain few that I haven’t given up yet and don’t plan on giving up any time soon….

1. Backstreet Boys, N*sync and Dreamstreet

Do I even need to say anything? We all loved us some Nick Carter and Justin Timberlake. Now that we’re old enough to actually appreciate and go after them, we’re supposed to have outgrown it? I think not. No shame here.

2. Disney Princesses

Not actually. Disney Princesses are fabulous, and they’re pretty much the best thing ever. Although they aren’t always the best role models (Hello, Ariel), they’re still highly relevant- as exhibited in Sephora’s new Princess Jasmine collection.

3. My grade school email address
Nothing says ‘regret’ like the email addresses we created in elementary school, when we were excited to just be able to go on the phone and the internet at the same time. And yet, I still find myself checking my “koolgurl1993x_x” email once in a while, and using it for my spam emails. Not that I would ever admit to what it actually was, or give it out to anyone. Ever.

4. Not liking my vegetables

My parents always told me that my taste would change, one day I would ‘magically’ begin to like veggies. It hasn’t happened yet. I have yet to outgrow my dislike for brussel sprouts, although I do like spinach salads. Mom wasn’t right (about this one).

5. The cut-ins and cut-outs Disney Channel does when it goes to commercial

I mean, really. I can’t tell you how often I’ve been in the kitchen getting food when my show surprisingly comes back on! I miss the days when I would have a good 30 seconds to get back in the room after having it announced that “Were back now, to Lizzie McGuire!” so I can sprint back to the couch without missing a second of my program.

6. Boys

Not all boys, just the ones I know are bad for me. I’m definitely old enough to be able to judge and know which boys are acceptable to date and which ones I should not touch with a ten-foot pole, and yet… I have the track record that I do. It’s just one of those things.

7. Lack of filter

As a 20-year old (attempted) woman, I should have some sort of connection between my mouth and my brain that keeps private thoughts from coming out of my mouth. You would think that somewhere along the line this connection would have formed. But it hasn’t, and here I am, able to tell you when yes, that dress does make you look fat and no, you should not wear it on that date.

Quinn Rodriguez is a junior at Boston University in the School of Management. Coming from beautiful Los Angeles, she deals with the Boston Winters, but loves spring more. Serving as the PR Chair for her fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha is pretty much her favorite thing ever, right next to red lipstick and people watching. Check her out at: http://quinnrodriguezonline.wordpress.com 
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."