This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Living on campus opens you up to a realm of new people and new experiences. Especially at Boston University, they always emphasize how the city is your campus. Unfortunately, many students barely step foot off Commonwealth Avenue during their time at BU. 

When applying for college, living in a city was an important factor for me, and like any other major metropolitan hub, there is so much to explore in Boston. 

An easy trip on the Green Line can take you to Newbury Street, the Boston Common, or the Boston Public Library. 

On Newbury Street, you can find a new outfit at a small, local boutique or in the shop of your favorite big brand, like Zara. You can also indulge in the many restaurants and cafes, a delicious way to switch things up from the repetitiveness of the dining hall food. 

When you reach the end of Newbury Street, you’ll spot the greenery of the Boston Common laying ahead. Instead of hanging out on BU Beach or the COM Lawn, you can enjoy a relaxing picnic with friends in this huge park, where you can people-watch or just enjoy the Boston weather (while it’s still good!).  

If you take the T to Copley, you’ll emerge from the station to see the beautiful, historic architecture of the Boston Public Library. My personal favorite place inside is the Bates Hall Reading Room, which is a quiet place to study.

In all, getting off campus and embracing everything that Boston life has to offer is something that every student around B-town should take advantage of — and anyone in other major cities too. 

Even If these recommendations Are not enough for you, there’s so much more to explore! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelica Vivas is a writer at the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. She pitches ideas to her editor and writes article every week. Beyond Her Campus, Angelica works as a contributing writer for Boston University's Daily Free Press. She is a writer for the features section. At the Daily Free Press, she is given a variety of pitches to choose from in order to write and be published for the newspaper. Angelica has written for a youth-led organization called Illuminating Voices that sought to highlight women of color. She is currently a sophomore at Boston University, majoring in Journalism. When she's not writing for Her Campus, Angelica enjoys writing for her own Substack, and learning songs on the piano and guitar. She's a sucker for art museums and cafés!