Style > Beauty

The Best Drugstore Makeup Products You Probably Haven’t Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Like many girls, one of the highlights of my day is sitting down in the morning to do my makeup. As much as I love occasionally feeling fancy with high-end products, nothing is better than looking good without spending $100 on three items. However, I feel like the same affordable recommendations have been recycled over and over again, which makes it difficult to find new products without gambling my own money. We all want something we know will work. From Elf to Morphe, all of these products are some of my favorites that are truly worth the purchase.

PIXI ON THE GLOW BLUSH ($18)

While this is the most expensive item in the lineup, it is easily one of the best. This viral blush is actually worth the hype and so much more. Not only is it exceptionally pigmented, but the hydrating formula gives your skin a real glow (without glitter or shimmer) in the most natural way.

MORPHE HIDE AND PEEK CONCEALER ($12)

You might be someone like me who doesn’t reach for concealer every day. But when you do, you’re looking for a lightweight feeling and natural coverage. If that’s the case, then this product will become your new favorite. This Morphe concealer has a natural finish and is super buildable, even if you are looking for a more full-coverage look.

L’OREAL VOLUMINOUS LASH PRIMER ($9)

I am a firm believer that every mascara works differently depending on the person. However, this primer can work magic for anyone. It lengthens your lashes and makes any mascara you apply darker and more dramatic with minimal effort. I never used a lash primer before this, and there is no going back.

COLOURPOP FRESH KISS LIP STAIN ($9) 

Lip products are something I rarely feel like wearing, especially when I think about having to reapply throughout the day. This lip stain, though, is guaranteed to last. It feels more like lip oil when it’s first applied and is extremely pigmented. My favorite shade, “Tutti Frutti,” is the perfect dark lip shade for anyone wanting a little extra drama.

MORPHE BAKE AND SET LOOSE POWDER ($15)

Taking the top spot on my list of makeup pet peeves is having creases under my eyes. This loose powder from Morphe completely prevents that by giving an airbrushed finish. With several shades to choose from, I haven’t bought a new powder since I discovered this one. It gets the job done, lasts forever, and gives the face a fresh look throughout the day. 

NYX SWEET CHEEKS BLUSH ($9)

My favorite makeup product is undoubtedly blush, and I will always wear a cream blush even if I have no other makeup on. This one from NYX is perfect for those low-effort type of days. However, you should use this sparingly as it is super pigmented. Nevertheless, I love how creamy and blendable it is with a doe foot applicator — making it easier to pop on before running out the door.

Be sure to check out these affordable products!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kasie Costalas is a member of the writing team at the Her Campus at BU chapter. In her first semester at HerCampus, she plans to contribute to the style and lifestyle sections of the site. Outside of Her Campus, Kasie is also a member of BUTV's The Wire. She recently transferred to Boston University as a junior and is majoring in journalism. Kasie plans to pursue a career in either broadcasting or print. In her free time, she enjoys exercising at the gym, painting and drawing, cooking, and hanging out with her dog Olive. She loves to stay updated on The Bachelor and getting a fancy coffee before study sessions.