This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve often found myself bombarded with questions from friends, family, and even strangers, all curious about why I make it a point to dress up for every occasion, even a simple trip to the grocery store.

My standard response usually revolves around the idea that “you never know what’s going to happen, who you might meet, or where you might go,” but the truth runs much deeper.

Dressing up, for me, is an art with its own set of rules, and it’s a choice that I make every day. Several factors come into play when I decide on my outfit, turning the seemingly mundane task into a fascinating endeavor.

First and foremost, the weather takes center stage. Checking the forecast on an app or simply stepping outside helps me decide whether I should opt for lightweight attire or bundle up in layers. The next step involves choosing the perfect colors for my mood and the ambiance of the day.

But why do I bother with this complicated process? I have three main reasons. Once you’ve read them, maybe you’ll find yourself playing dress-up more often too!

Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Elevating Confidence and Mood

It’s an age-old adage, but it rings true for me: when I look good, I feel good.

Dressing up is more than just wearing fancy attire; it’s a ritual that heightens my mood and bolsters my confidence. 

When I make the mistake of attempting to tackle my to-do list in sweatpants or pajamas, I often find myself succumbing to laziness. My mind invariably wanders back to my cozy bed, and productivity goes out the window.

However, when I make the effort to dress up, I feel more alert and lively. It’s as if the simple act of donning stylish attire triggers a switch in my brain, transforming my mindset from sleepy to dynamic.

Creating a Lasting First Impression

For me, dressing up leads to lasting first impressions. When you put effort into your appearance, you both garner respect from those you encounter and draw their attention.

The simple act of presenting yourself with elegance can leave a mark on people’s minds.

Inspiring Others Through Personal Style

I don’t only dress up for my own satisfaction; I do it with the hope of inspiring others.

Each person has a unique style, and everyone can use what they wear to express their personality. I find immense joy in combining my style with the influences of others and forging my own distinct path in the realm of fashion.

The beauty of fashion lies in its capacity to encourage experimentation, enabling us to draw inspiration from diverse sources and create something uniquely our own.

When I dress up, maybe my outfit will inspire everyone I meet to experiment with their own forms of self-expression.

The act of dressing up transforms the everyday task of choosing an outfit into a mood enhancer, a confidence booster, and a Way to make a Great first impression.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Isaira Alvarez, I am a sophomore majoring in journalism in the college of communications at Boston University.