The 5 Best Movies to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I love Christmas! If you know me, you know that I always bring out my fuzzy holiday socks and put on holiday music (cue Mariah Carey) as soon as November 1st arrives. One of my favorite parts about the holiday season is watching movies with my family and friends. If you’re like me and looking to start getting into the holiday spirit, here are my recommendations. 

Love Actually

Love Actually is one of my all-time favorite movies. First of all, the cast is incredible! Everyone, from Colin Firth to Keira Knightley to Thomas Brodie-Sangster, is in it. It is a truly star-studded cast. The stories are all wonderfully interconnected, and, while it is unrealistic, it is heartwarming and entertaining. It is the perfect movie to watch on a cold night with a cup of hot chocolate!

A Charlie Brown Christmas

This one is truly a classic. For just about every holiday, my family and I watched the Charlie Brown specials when I was little. It’s short, sweet, and a nice movie to have in the background while you bake cookies or do other holiday activities. It’s also great if you’re looking for something a little more nostalgic.

Elf

Elf has always been one of my favorites. It is definitely the funniest movie on the list, and it is generally a crowd-pleaser. This is a great one to watch with family and friends if you are all looking for a laugh. Will Ferrell plays the role so well, and it’s a fun, unique story.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

The 90s remake of Miracle on 34th Street is, in my opinion, a better take on the classic film. Like Elf, the storyline focuses on convincing people to believe in Santa and the holiday spirit. It’s sweet and an easy watch. It’s another one that I like to put on in the background while baking. Not my absolute favorite, but a good one to get you in the spirit.

Shrek the Halls

Okay, this one is a silly one, but my family always watched Shrek the Halls when it came on TV in December. It’s short and goofy, and it includes a lot of the characters from the original Shrek movies. This one isn’t too serious, but if you want some Shrek in your life this holiday season, go watch it.

I hope that these recommendations bring you a little holiday cheer this season! I can’t wait to see what new movies I find this year!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah is a freshman at Boston University studying Film and Television in the College of Communication. She is originally from just outside Baltimore, Maryland. She enjoys working on craft projects and watching TV, and she is so excited to be writing for Her Campus BU!