Taylor Kinney’s Abs and Other Reasons to Watch “Chicago Fire”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So this fall season NBC has given me reason to call it my favorite network once again. With the new sci-fi drama Revolution keeping the network afloat, Chicago Fire isn’t winning the popularity contest, but it has become my new weekly indulgence. If you haven’t heard of it, well, let me enlighten you.

The hour-long drama centers on one of Chicago’s firehouses, following the professional and personal lives of the firefighters and paramedics of the firehouse. Yes, there may be some dramatic clichés and cookie-cutter love triangles BUT it is still on-screen magic – magic enough for Law and Order’s executive producer Dick Wolfe to put his name on it, anyway.  Regarding this “on-screen magic” though, you’ve got some pretty handsome dudes who just so happen so have washboard abs…oh and the two paramedics just so happen to be gorgeous young women. Shocker.

Chicago Fire got picked up for a full season and the first part of the season is just about to wrap up with one more episode of the calendar year to go. It did have a slow start, resulting in some shoddy ratings, but it has picked up enough to earn itself a valuable spot on NBC’s lineup. So let me do a short run-down on the characters:

The show stars Jesse Spencer and Taylor Kinney (who, if anyone is wondering, is also Lady Gaga’s boyfriend) as the two lieutenants of the firehouse. Spencer plays Lieutenant Matthew Casey, the leader of Truck 81. He is trying to rebuild his relationship with his fiancé Hallie, who is a resident doctor at the nearby hospital. Kinney (my personal favorite) plays Lieutenant Kelly Severide, leader of Rescue Squad 3. He suffers from spinal pain following a previous rescue mission and tries to hide this from the rest of his team and the firehouse for fear of having to go on an extended leave. More interestingly though, he is the resident ladies’ man (I mean, obviously) and I am very interested in seeing where that storyline goes.

Charlie Barnett plays Firefighter Peter Mills of Truck 81. He is trying to follow in his late father’s footsteps, who was also a firefighter. He has a sister and mother who run a family restaurant following his father’s death and is the firestation’s candidate (basically, the intern). He also happens to be a great cook and is oh so adorable. Monica Raymund plays Paramedic Gabriela Dawson of Ambulance 61. She is independent, fearless, marches to the beat of her own drum, and, oh yea, has a MAJOR crush on Matthew Casey. Lauren German plays Paramedic Leslie Shay of Ambulance 61, a reliable and dependable friend fellow paramedic Dawson, and to Severide, her roommate. She’s sort of the token gay character since she’s a lesbian, but she does offer some variety in her character development as she is struggling with a breakup and is given her own background and personality as opposed to “token lesbian.”  Eamonn Walker Battalion Chief Wallace Boden of Battalion 25 is a scarred veteran of the fire department. Chief Wallace Boden is dedicated to his job and his firefighters and his incredibly deep voice and stern facial expressions are sure to freak you out at first. David Eigenberg (yes, he was on Sex and the City) plays Firefighter Christopher Herrmann of Truck 81. He’s a family man, probably the most loveable character on the show, who has lost his house through get rich quick schemes so he and his family live with his in-laws.

If these character descriptions, plotlines, and love triangles aren’t making you fall in love with the show already…then just look at the photos. And then, if you’re still not buying it, go on Chicago Fire’s Facebook page, like it, and live the magic every day. I must say, they have an incredible social media manager working this Facebook page (I would LOVE this job). Every month, followers of the page get to vote on their favorite pictures of characters and the winning photo becomes the photo of the month for the firefighter calendar. Yup, they have a firefighter calendar. It’s awesome. Chicago Fire airs on Wednesdays at 10 pm on NBC. Tune in and decide for yourself if you’re on Team Casey or Team Severide. 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."