Summer So Whats: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This is a concept revolving around the self-acceptance that I discovered this summer over at Man Repeller. Check out the original article by girl boss Amelia Diamond

Sometimes you just have to facelife truths head-on. Here are a few summer “so whats” that you may be facing as the semester starts.  

So what if you spent most of the summer in classes? 

You shouldn’t have to apologize for making your education a priority. Same goes with summer jobs.  

So what if you didn’t go to glamorous, exotic travel destinations? So what if you never reached a perfect summer tan? 

This has literally never happened to me, and I have come to accept it. Everyone’s skin is different, and you can always use fake tanning products if that’s your thing. 

So what if you slept through your early morning workouts? How many people actually show up to 7 a.m. spin classes? 

So what if you always felt sweaty? 

Yeah, you may be sticky, but that is one of the compromises you have to make for getting to enjoy the summer weather.  

So what if you never had the ideal summer wardrobe? 

Most days I either wore a dress that I have in three different colors or a pair of shorts that I have had for four years. It’s college. I don’t feel the need to spend loads of money on items that will be out of style within three months.  

So what if the “songs of the summer” annoy you?

You aren’t a party pooper just because you would rather skip over “Can’t Stop This Feeling!” or “One Dance.” 

So what if you never made it to the beach… not even once? 

And honestly, all of the Instagram posts began to become repetitive after a while. It got to the point of scrolling past without even acknowledging the caption and the account.  

SO WHAT? 

Don’t feel the need to apologize for what you may have done or didn’t do while on summer break. Classes are in, and all you have to do now is focus on getting back on your school grind. 

I am an Atlanta-raised writer living in Boston. I have had a fixation with magazines, pop culture and styling my whole life.
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."