Submissions for the World’s Largest Sketchbook Collection are Now Open!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’ve always wanted to be included in a global art project, now’s your chance.

The Sketchbook Project is accepting new submissions for Volume 16 of the project, open to anyone. Simply purchase a sketchbook for $30, fill it up, and send it back by August 15, 2020, to be included in the world’s largest collection of artist sketchbooks.

Not only will sketchbooks be a part of a physical exhibition in the Brooklyn Art Library meant to inspire students and bring the community together, but the sketchbooks will also be traveling around the country for pop-up residencies, drawing events, and school visits. Sketchbooks can also be digitized and made available on the Sketchbook Project website for $65.

Credit: The Sketchbook Project

Each participant is sent the same 5”x7” blank sketchbook with a unique six-digit barcode, so it can be cataloged and easily tracked by the participant. Participants will be able to track where their book has traveled, and how often it is viewed online or in person.

The only rules when it comes to creating is that the sketchbook has to be used, it has to remain 5”x7”, and no glitter, acrylic or gesso paint can be used as these may cause the pages to stick together over time.

While participants are not limited to the themes, Volume 16’s themes include: “a narrative about you,” “nighttime feelings,” and “one more story.”

Credit: The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project was founded 12 years ago by Steven Peterman, who wanted to emphasize the idea that anyone can create art as he created an informal outlet for creativity. He believed that a constantly changing project that has strong ties to different communities can provide a unique impact in comparison to a traditional gallery.

Since its creation, The Sketchbook Project has amassed over 45,000 sketchbooks from 30,000 different people all over the world.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelina is a sophomore at Boston University, majoring in Public Relations. Originally from the Bay Area, California, she is currently still adjusting to experiencing real seasons. Her hobbies include looking for cheap flights, listening to "Why'd You Push that Button," and going to Trader Joe's.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.