The Struggle of Getting Back into the Swing of School: As Told by Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s a sad, sad time of the year: summer has ended and now I’m faced with the task of acting like an actual human in order to continue succeeding in an academic setting. And for some reason, every year I struggle to gracefully re-enter the collegiate life despite the fact that I’ve done it twice before. The struggle is real, people. So real, in fact, that I discovered it can be depicted with the help of adorable and hilarious dogs to ease the pain of how true it all is.

To start, now you have to remember the importance of alarm clocks because class is not whenever you actually wake up.

And then proceeding to attend class where you feel like you have forgotten how to speak/understand/write English in a situation that doesn’t involve discussing the most recent episode of Nicole Richie’s TV show.

Suddenly having to transport yourself to and from classes to your desired location without the help of a car that caresses you with its AC.

Of course, then trying to maintain your flawless appearance without this AC. “I’m not sweating like I just ran a marathon in the Sahara Desert, I’m just glistening. Duh.”

Returning to the gym to maintain that bikini physique that you worked so hard for (yeah, I definitely did that) and not just burying yourself in dining hall cookies.

Being surrounded by what appears to be the biggest freaking freshmen class ever and making sure they know their place in the social hierarchy.

Speaking of freshmen, having to deal with their incessant need to be noticed for anything and everything. Asking a question about the syllabus? WHY.

Dealing with roommates who do not enjoy sharing one bathroom. Or sharing anything for that matter. 

Then there’s the opposite end of the roommate spectrum where they don’t want to leave you alone. What even is “personal space?”

But it’s not all a struggle. Finally being reunited with your best friends and creating more memories allows for the struggles to be the funny anecdotes you talk about next year when you have to do it all again.

Charlotte is currently a sophomore at Boston University studying Political Science and History, but hopes to one day rule the world. In her free time she enjoys eating food with melted cheese, going antiquing, and serenading her dog with Usher’s greatest hits.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis