Spring is Coming: New Places to Hang Out in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I was talking to my high school counselor once about my college plans. He asked me where I saw myself going to college in terms of environment. I told him I wanted an urban setting and a campus free from the stereotypical rusty and cold metal fence enclosing it. I have nothing against fences and gates; I’m just the type of person that feels comfortable in being part of the actual community wherever I go. And this choice is part of the reason why I’m attending Boston University. Heck, the university is in the middle of it all – Comm. Ave., one of the busiest streets in Boston! The T’s hectic Green Line runs through the heart of campus too. However, I’ve come to the realization that BU students, well mostly underclassmen undergrads, seem confined to our 1.5-mile long strip of Comm. Ave. We have everything we need here and then some – well, okay, we can stretch it to Newbury Street in one end and Allston in the other. Food, shelter, clothing, classes and fun times – they are all here provided for us, so why bother exploring, right? Wrong, if we don’t get off campus once in a while we will never really know Boston. If most of us are living here for the next four years or more then we should at least get to know the city! I’m positive Boston has so much more to offer us, if we only open the imaginary gates and walk out of this strip.

So I made it my mission to go exploring around Boston. It’s going to be springtime soon (yes!) so forget spending your afternoons on the BU Beach or the Charles River Esplanade, go to places you’ve never been to and do some exploring! It’s a concrete jungle out there!

Boston Common and Public Garden

If you say you’re a bit scared to go off into the wilderness of the Bostonian jungle, then the Boston Common and the Public Garden are a good start for you. By far, the Common and the Public Garden are the second reason why I decided to go to BU. At first sight, I fell in love with the garden. It was Spring when I first visited Boston, but the garden looks amazing all year round. The Boston Common is also a wonderful patch of green grass. Both places provide its visitors a natural contrast to Boston’s skyscrapers. They’re a good 20 to 30 minute-walk from campus or a 10 minute-ride to the Arlington T stop. Great for strolls, jogs, picnics and people watching.

Charles River Bike Path, Cambridge Side

Okay, you’ve gone to the Common and the Garden, now it’s time for you to cross a bridge. By now, you’re used to going for a walk and reflect on life along the Esplanade while looking at the grandness of the Hyatt across the river. The Cambridge view is great and all, but let’s change perspectives here – why not traverse the Mass. Ave. bridge and see how the Pru or John Hancock looks like instead? See what Boston looks like from the other side! Great for strolls, jogs and taking pictures – I heard the sunset scenes are awe-inspiring and naturally beautiful, take a visit to the Cambridge side and explore.

Boston Long Wharf

Do you want to see where the Charles River leads to? Follow it and you will find the famed Boston Harbor. The Long Wharf, a section of the harbor in the Waterfront district, is a pier where ships and boats pass through or dock. Walk down, pass the food stands and the docked ships, sit at the end of the wooden walkway and just fill your senses with everything- the sight of ferries out in the water and people around you, the smell of peanuts coming from one side and the smell of the salty waters from the other, the sound of boat horns and loud chatter, and the feel of the harbor breeze. Go ahead, you know you want to.

Arnold Arboretum

You’re all grown-up now and ready to take a trip somewhere farther – the Arnold Arboretum. The arboretum is a wonderful acreage of trees and grass meeting with the blue sky on the horizon. If you’re up for a stroll, a run, or anything that involves the outdoors, this is the place! Remember to hike all the way up to Peter’s Hill, the highest point of the area, and have a picnic while admiring the Boston skyline in front of you. So get on the Orange Line to Forest Hills Station and enjoy!

So there you go – just a few suggestions for you (make sure to keep adding to this list). Sometimes, all you really have to do is hop on that T and explore!

A child of journalism and international relations. I am for the Carpe Diems and YOLOs of life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.