Spring Break Necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.
The frigid winter seems never ending when you’re looking for an excuse to skip class every morning.  It rains.  It pours.  It snows.  And if you’re anything like me, you are counting down the days and hours until spring break. It’s in less than two weeks! YAAAA!

Whether you are going to the Caribbean for the “classic” college spring break, going for the do-gooder “alternative” spring break, or just going to visit your Jewish grandparents down in Boca in the sunshine state for a little pampering, you are going to need some preparations, a bit of spring-cleaning if you will.  Even if you are just going home to lounge around the house – treat yourself, you deserve it.

THE BOD

1. The Nails:
Manicured nails can make you look groomed versus a complete slop.  They look nice, neat and make a girl more confident.  Your gross winter feet are going to be exposed to the sunlight. When you’re on SB pretty nails and matching toes will put you right back in the summer mood.

Where to go – Nail Stylus in Coolidge Corner.  No appointment needed and their prices won’t make your wallet hurt.

Favorites – winter color: “Smoking Hot” from Essie, however apparently they have stopped selling this seasonal color, hopefully it comes back next winter. Spring color: “Rumples Wiggin’”, from OPI.

2. The Wax:
It’s time to get rid of that unwanted hair too, especially since it’s bathing suit season.  Get those eyebrows cleaned up, and possibly the lip if you were blessed with the curse of the upper lip mustache.  And of course the bikini area.  Waxing is the best answer when you are going away for a week.  No razor burns.  No hassle in the seedy hotel bathroom.  No problem.

Where to go – Gretta Cole, located in Copley.  Their prices are reasonable and they still do a decent job without ripping your skin apart.  I’m willing to spend a little extra when it comes to this.

3. Tanning the Bod:
I’m just going to put this out there: I am an Italian-American from Lawn Guyland (Long Island), however I am not an orange toned guidette, as Ms. Snooki would put it, and go tanning on a regular basis.  That being said, I do believe in a little winter tanning bed therapy to get my skin back to its regular color so it’s not translucent.  Tanning pre-vacation when you are going to a hot locale near the equator has some practical value – a base coat!  I promise, it legitimately works.  A solid base coat will prevent sunburn and will also prevent ruining a good part of your trip. You’ll be able to avoid laying in bed having your roommates rub aloe all over your swollen body.  Also, showing up the first few days with a little color will help your summer clothes look like they actually should.

Where to go – Perfect Tan on Comm. Ave.  They have great deals for college students, boys included, and it’s basically on campus.  You can do the monthly package, or buy 10 at a time to use whenever.  They even give a free tan during your birthday month.

4. The Hair:
If you are a freak like me and only let the same hair dresser since you were five cut your hair from your hometown, then ignore this one.  But if you are normal and need some of those dead ends chopped off, getting a cut right before SB would be a perfect opportunity to show off the fresh hair.  Or if you are feeling really ballsy, get a completely new look – chop it all off, get the bob, get some bangs, anything.  

Where to go – Dellaria on Comm. Ave. in Kenmore.  This is not a personal recommendation, but I have heard they do a fine job and haircut is only $30.

5. The Physique:
It’s never too late!  Seriously, I am not one to talk.  I kept putting it off and putting it off, but the past week I’ve been hitting the gym as much as possible.  Forget the weight loss, just to tighten up the abs, and get a little tone back in my legs and arms to pretend I have a some muscle.  If not for anything, get a little cardio in before you pile on the margaritas (300ish calories for a glass), pina coladas (950ish calories for 12 oz.), and tacos 24 hours a day for 7 days straight.

Where to go – Must I even say? Fitrec.

THE ESSENTIALS
It’s impossible to go over all the spring break necessities, but here are some of the highlights.

1. The Suits
No explanation or funny anecdote needed here.  A cute bathing suit is a must when you’re soaking up the sun. Here are some good stores to hit up without hurting your wallet at cute surf shop/boutiques:

Where to go – Well, there are the cheaper name brands, like American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, Gap, Madewell, and my favorite, J. Crew.  However, if you are anything like me and are feeling a little more mature and/or looking for a nice sleek one piece to hide all the unwanted whatevers, I sometimes look to department stores.  The two I have found the best luck at are Nordstrom’s and Lord and Taylor.  Now, they can be pricey, but you need to know how to look.  They ALWAYS have a sale rack, which is great because you get brand name bathing suits at a reasonable price.  These two stores can have way better deals than, say, Bloomies or Neiman Marcus.  To save money, don’t just settle for the first thing on the mannequin. You have to shop around.  There’s always the option of trying something on and checking on your convenient smart phone if that same suit is online somewhere for cheaper.  Or if you are really feeling technologically savvy, many phones have a shopping app where it scans the barcode of the item and will tell you if any other stores are selling the item nearby and for how much.  I use it all the time.  It’s awesome.

2. The Flippie Floppies
You need them in a beach location.  There’s no getting around it.  You need crappy flip-flops for the water and semi-nice ones for dinner/going out/the plane.

Where to go – for cheap sandals you can throw out at the end of the trip go to Old Navy – an oldie, but a goodie.  They come in a variety of colors, $5 and under.  Totes worth the purchase.  There are many options for semi-nice flip-flop.  I’ve been through a bunch myself : Polo, J Crew, Hollister (middle school style), Havaianas, and the list goes on.  But I have found my favorite to be Tory Burch flip-flops which run around $40 a pair, possibly even cheaper when on sale or bidding on eBay.  They come in adorable patterns and colors, and serve as a great option when you don’t feel like killing your feet in heels for the night.  

3. The Jorts
I rarely use this term, but I found it appropriate for this process.  Jean shorts are handy in any SB situation.  Some aren’t a fan, but I say why not?  I love my jeans in the winter, and I love my jean shorts in the summer.  Depending on the style of the short, and how you wear accessories with them, you can wear them during the day, to the beach, out to dinner, or even out for the night.

Where to go – This is hard to give specific stores, because it all depends on where you shop and your style.  Most likely wherever you get your jeans/pants wardrobe from, you can find some jorts!

Where to shop around Boston – Most of you students know where to go, you live here.
 There’s the always reliably crowded Newbury Street.  The Cambridge Galleria.  The
Prudential Center, which is also always crowded.  The little strip mall in Watertown,
which has Target, Best Buy and Forever 21.  But my absolute favorite has to be the
Natick Collection, aka the Natick Mall.  I am lucky enough to have a car here, which is
how I can get there, but it is completely worth hitchhiking or renting a zip car.  It is exit
13 off the Mass Pike, less than 20 minutes from campus.  First of all, it’s gorgeous.  It has
almost any kind of store you would ever want, and most brand names.  It has a bumping
food court, including Red Mango.  And it’s never too crowded.

Other things to think about before you leave:

• Don’t forget your PASSPORT (international only, but it’s still good to have for domestic)
  • Unless your daddy is kind enough to put the international service on your phone, you will have no way to communicate with the world and the people you are traveling with without costing $47 a minute.  It’s corny but my mom shipped our old vacation walkie-talkies so my friends and I can all talk when we are separated.  
  • For the internet, make sure you have some device that will pick up Wi-Fi (iPhones, iTouch, some blackberries) because most hotels have a few Wi-Fi hot spots where you can get your fix on emails, checking Facebook and tweeting a few times a day.
  • Sunblock. Bring it.  I don’t care who you are, whatever skin tone you have, coming from Boston going pretty much anywhere else with a warmer temperature, you will need the sunblock for at least the first few days.
  • PASSPORT
  • Check that you’re travel itinerary matches up with your friends.  After spending a semester abroad, traveling to a ton of different countries, with many different people who all booked their trips separately, this accident has happened more than you would think, sadly enough.
  • Try not to over pack.  I am guilty of this charge myself, but it’s not worth it.  You won’t wear half the things you bring.  And make sure the luggage is under weight so you don’t get an extra charge at the airport.
  • PASSPORT
  • Be careful of the drinking water when leaving the country, depending on where you are going.  If there is even an inkling of doubt, stick to the bottled stuff.  It is absolutely not worth ruining your whole trip over being sick, although most resorts are completely fine.  And don’t forget to close your mouth in the shower (ie. Charlotte in the Sex and the City the Movie).
  • Leave the laptop at home.  You don’t want to worry about it and you don’t need it.  If you are concerned you won’t have anything to watch your DVDs on at night in the hotel room, don’t even bother going on the trip.  Stay home and save some money.
  • Oh, and lastly, don’t forget your PASSPORT!

Everyone, enjoy your spring breaks.  Have fun.  Please, be safe. Do what you want to do, not what other people want to do, it’s your life.  Make some memories.  No regrets.

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!