This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s a time that thousands of people look forward to, sometimes more anticipated than Christmas: Spotify Wrapped season.

On the first week of December for every year since 2015, Spotify makes an individual end-of-year summary for its listeners, giving statistics such as how many minutes of music someone listened to, what their top artists and songs were, and what genres they enjoyed the most. It both gives you a sense of surprise when you wonder, “Did I really listen to ‘Driver’s License’ that many times?”, and confirms that you do, in fact, have the most superior taste in music.

Most Wrapped presentations stay relatively uniform from year to year, but this year was different in a couple of ways. First, it showed a user’s “audio aura.” In a colorfully shifting image, it visually showed what your music’s vibe was in just a couple of words, like “happy” or “angst.” The writing used was also very casual and trendy compared to previous years. The developers at Spotify used numerous pop-culture terms, like “being the main character, figuring out what an NFT is, and understanding the assignment.” 

What makes Spotify Wrapped so fun every year is seeing what everyone else has been listening to. It might get tiring for people who couldn’t care less about who someone’s top artist was, but I personally love seeing everyone’s posts — it makes it clear who my next best friend is, as well as who I should stay away from.

Through Spotify Wrapped, I’ve connected with so many people through our shared love of different artists and songs. I really like discovering new music and going to live concerts, and I have now found friends at BU who share those same loves. There could not be a more perfect conversation starter than the Spotify Wrapped summary post on Instagram stories. 

To wrap it up, not only is Spotify Wrapped a fun way to find out what your most-listened to songs, artists, and genres were, but it’s also a great way to find out what other people listened to. It’s a way to show off your true love for Taylor Swift or to be shocked by how many minutes you logged streaming your music. 

I’m already looking forward to what my Spotify Wrapped will look like next year, so that I can see how much will stay the same and how much will change, and I’m sure several other people are in the same boat. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Class of 2025 journalism student at Boston University. Loves listening to music and exploring the city, and pet every dog that goes by.