Showing Support: BU JSA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For BU’s Japanese Student Association (JSA), this month’s earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan has given motivation to rally and help those directly affected. In response to the horror and destruction that has occurred in Japan, the JSA wasted no time in responding by organizing a fundraiser. Yu Ishihara, CAS senior and JSA co-president, said that the JSA will have a table in the GSU Link until April 1st in order to collect donations. Offering wristbands ($3) and breads ($1) from Café Japonaise for sale, JSA members plan to give all proceeds to the Red Cross Society, which has already had a large part in rescue efforts overseas. People who stop by the table are also invited to pose for a photo with a “Pray for Japan” sign in order to remind the Japanese that they are receiving our best wishes. The JSA, which has around 300 student members and welcomes anyone with an interest in Japan and Japanese culture, will hold their annual culture show on April 3rd and is working to collaborate with a Koreana capella group to hold a benefit concert. Ishihara encourages BU students to stay posted for further fundraisers and says that the JSA welcomes any additional fundraising ideas. While the tragedy is Japan is shocking to all of us, it is especially close to the hearts of the JSA members; through their efforts we can offer both monetary and emotional support for those who have lost their homes and loved ones.

*Photo courtesy of Chari & Co N.Y.C. 

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!