Running For Cover: Mary Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

You may have seen her on stage, you may catch her in the dining hall with her friends, but on April 16th 2012, there will be nowhere to find Mary Miller (COM’14) but on the raceway, as she will be running the Boston Marathon with her father, Dick Miller, to support the Melanoma Foundation of New England! A fantastic spirit and a true inspiration don’t be afraid to wave hi to this Campus Celebrity and wish her best of luck on accomplishing this huge challenge! You go girl!

Q. When did you start running?
            I started running when I was very little with my dad; he used to run races and he was part of a running club. He would take me to the kid training camps, and I would run ¼ mile relays and stuff. I didn’t really run that much as a kid, but by junior year of high school I started running more consistently. Senior year was the first race, with my dad – there is a 5K in my town on Labor Day weekend, and I had been training. I didn’t even realize it, but I came in first in my age group – I almost left before they even called my name! I had so much fun at the race, and I guess that kind of kicked it off – then I wanted to bump it up a level, so I started racing with my dad. I really enjoy it, but never wanted to do it in school because I didn’t want it to be competitive; I didn’t want it to become a chore or anything.

Q What have been some of your past accomplishments in running?
            I ran my first half marathon last May, the first thing I really trained for officially. I’ve done 3 half marathons, the most recent being in Disney World.

Q. Where is your favorite place to run?
            Oh jeez. I love running around the river – you just get to see so much of Boston and it is different every single time you go. Different people, different weather. The second was when I was in Maine on vacation.

Q. What keeps you running?
            How I feel after I run – it’s addicting. It is something I do for me, and for only me – the only thing I have completely to myself, that I have control over, that I truly enjoy doing.

Q. What motivated you to run the Boston Marathon?
            Running it with my dad, because we have always run together and he would always talk about running marathons, and I have always been there to watch him and vice versa. Running with him, and by increasing mileage, it became a realization that I could do it myself– to be able to do it with him, while I’m going to school in Boston and train with him is why I wanted to do it so badly, and because we’re doing it for a great cause.

Q. How many hours do you think you spend training per week?
            I would say on average, 7-8 hours per week. It increases as you go.

Q. What is your training like?
            I run 3-4 times per week; cross-train 2-3 days per week, and then I rest one day a week. It depends on the week. I do one long run per week, and bump up 2 miles every other week. For example, last weekend I ran 14 miles on my long run, so next week I will run 16, but this week in between I’ll only run 10. A long run is the best thing to train for a marathon, but it takes the most out of you. It is actually my favorite part of training.

Q. What has changed about your nutrition?
            I am learning that balance is most important – making sure you get everything, all your nutrients. You need both carbs and proteins to be successful. I have to always be thinking about what I’m eating, and making sure I’m eating well.

Q. What cause are you running for?
            My dad and I are running for the Melanoma Foundation of New England – our team is called “Running For Cover.” My dad ran for the same charity last year, and he had a great experience with it, and really enjoyed it. His brother passed away from melanoma when I was younger, and so that is how he found out about it. The foundation has a lot of great programs, especially for younger people to show them that what they do now is going to affect them later. We need to raise $8,000 between the two of us, and we go to monthly meetings for it. We send out monthly emails to people that are donating, to family and friends, and we’re trying to get into our local paper to raise awareness as well. A lot of it is word of mouth: you’d be surprise how many people come out of the woodwork to donate because of how many people have been effected by melanoma: a lot of people have been influenced by it. We are not only trying to raise money, but also trying to raise awareness. There are a lot of simple things to do to prevent this horrible disease, and people need to know about it.

Q. Do you feel that running has changed you as a person?
            Yes. It has been a great way for me to release all my stress and think about things that are going on. On the longer runs, I can plan out my day or week. I like running no matter what occasion. If I’m in a really good mood, I like to run. If I’m in a terrible mood, I like to run. It has taught me self-discipline – it is one of the most rewarding things I have done, because it’s all on me. And also, it’s a way to bond with my dad.

Q. What is your favorite music to run to?
            Pitbull. But if I can help it, I don’t use music; I only use it on long runs by myself.

Q. Besides running, what are some of your other hobbies?
            I am involved in Boston University On Broadway, as well as their weekly volunteer group Off Broadway. I intern at the B.A.A – Boston Athletic Association, which actually puts on the marathon. I also enjoy baking, hanging out with my friends, and being with my family – especially my dog.

Q. If you could give 3 tips to someone who wanted to start running, what would they be?
            Don’t be afraid to start running, because anyone could do it. I remember when I first started running, running a mile was horrible – I remember one time when we tried to run 2 miles and I almost threw up. But you can do it, I tell it to everyone. I would then say don’t be discouraged either – it is not going to come to you after you run one. You have to keep at it to reap the benefits. Lastly, I would say to enjoy it. If you don’t enjoy it then it isn’t worth it. If it is something that you’re never going to love to do then you shouldn’t do it – do it because you want to.

To support Dick and Mary Miller, and the Melanoma Foundation of New England, donate here:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/team_miller/RunningforCover_Boston…

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.