Q&A with the Producer Behind “Euphoniks” Danilo Barbiero (SMG ’17)

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

https://soundcloud.com/euphoniksofficial

Sarah McCullough: What inspired you to start producing music?

Danilo Barbiero: I love finding out how things work. I would always listen to music, so naturally I became interested in learning how music is produced, especially after watching videos of producers like Kanye West making beats on YouTube.

When/how did you learn how to produce?

I began to teach myself FL Studio Freshman year in high school. I would just kind of mess around with the program and search things online until I had a good idea of how to use the entire program. It took me about a year to understand most of it but even almost 5 years later I am still learning.

What is the difference between DJing and what you do?

A DJ will transition between songs during a live event. A producer creates the instrumentals in which a rapper/singer will record vocals on top of and guides the process, the creating a song from start to finish.

How do you hope to incorporate music into your life in the future?

There are so many talented musicians around us, even in BU alone. I plan on creating a record label where people can collaborate and network with other musicians. Through this label, everyone involved will be able to play shows and release EPs/Albums with the goal of creating a bigger, more complex music scene in Boston.

Who is your favorite producer? Why?

This is a three-way tie between J Dilla, Nujabes and Kanye West. Each of these producers have a sound that is so unique to them that they are unparalleled in the hip-hop genre. Unfortunately, J Dilla and Nujabes have passed, but they live on through their influence in other producers. I plan on continuing their legacy through their influence on me.

What equipment do you use to produce music? What is the most difficult part of the process?

I use my PC, a cheap M-Audio midi keyboard and an MPD26. The most difficult part is when I get frustrated when the sound I created isn’t the same as the vision I had in my head.

What is the story behind your SoundCloud name “Euphoniks”?

Honestly, I just like the way it sounds. Coincidentally, the definition of “euphonic” is when something is pleasing to your ear.

How long does this process usually take you?

Each song is different, I can spend anywhere from 30 minutes on a track to months.

What is your favorite part of producing?

Looking at your project file when you’re done with the track is immensely satisfying when you consider that the file was completely empty before you started. I also love how it brings people together; I’ve met a lot of extremely talented and interesting people through music.

Is there a song you have made that you are most proud of?

If you ask me what my favorite song that I’ve made is, I’ll answer that I haven’t made it yet. However, I produced a song with my good friend named Jean-Luc called “You Got Me” that has a music video out on YouTube. Go check it out!

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGW0Rytswg

Do you have a dream venue you want to play at or a specific person you wish you could share your work with?

I’d love to play anywhere where people want to listen to me. It would be great if Kanye West listened to any of my stuff.

Danilo Barbiero (SMG ’17)

Sarah is an undergraduate student at Boston University pursuing a dual-degree in Neuropsychology and Journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.