In Pursuit of the Perfect Pea Coat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

After our first few thirty-degree days, we can’t escape it. Winter has officially hit Boston. It’s time to pull out those scarfs and bundle up because it’s only goes down the thermometer from here. Between running from class to internships to club meetings, the perfect pea coat is no longer a want, but an actual need… you know just like water and Starbucks iced-coffee. So rather than prepare for my finals, I’ve been doing in-depth research to find this season’s perfect pea coat.

A pea coat is a necessary item in any fashionista’s closet. I’ve historically played it safe purchasing the traditional militaristic black boxy style with gold buttons and crisp folds. It’s time to add a statement piece to my closet. There are four styles I’ve been noticing (and loving) this year. Here’s my analysis of the Loose, the Leather, the Light and the Layered pea coats gracing our webpages, store fronts and soon our streets.

Loose

Wollen Wraparound Coat

159.00

Zara

One thing I love about this shift from the traditional pea coat is the relaxed feel it offers. The neutral colors, allow for the more loose style while not taking away from the sophistication and ‘put-togetherness’ a pea coat offers. If you’re looking for something a little different, but still in a traditional vein, a looser fit pea coat offers a trendy touch, without straying too much from the norm.

Leather

‘Devon’ Faux Leather Trim Coat

By T Tahari

$210.00

Nordstrom.com

Faux Leather Trim Peacoat

By Calvin Klein

$198.00

Nordstrom.com

Faux Leather Trim Military Peacoat

By BCBGeneration

$158.00

Nordstrom.com

To do leather justice, I had to find a few different pieces to emphasize how just a small accent enhances the military feel of a pea coat. If you love the military look but want something new, or if you’re just not ready to part with your edgy leather jacket, I’d choose one of these looks!

Light

Contrast-Collar Topcoat

By J.Crew

$425.00

Brocade Coat

By Free People

$348.00

When I said light, I did not mean lightweight (especially for all you northeast collegiate women). White and cream pea coats have always been popular, adding a variation to the selection as well as hues of blue and red. However, I did not expect to see pink! Both J.Crew and Free People play with pink, combining it with either a black base or a black accent. I love incorporating bright colors in outerwear – such a bold move!

Layers

Colette Trench

By Anthropologie

$228.00

I absolutely love this coat. It gives the traditionally boxy, more militaristic pea coat a feminine touch. The layering as well as the belt not only adds to the subtle color-blocking, but makes the coat appear more warm and fitted.

So which theme is your favorite? I’m having a hard time deciding. Anyone want to buy me one of each?! Let us know which style you love!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.